Another Cutlass followed me home

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well another Cutlass followed me home today. My fiances stepfather had seen the car and told us about it so I went to go check it out. Turns out to be another 1980 Cutlass Diesel though in much better shape than the last and this time with the original 350 Diesel still under the hood. This car is actually fairly different than the other 80 I have (that was originally a diesel as well), the gauge cluster is completely different and this car has the aero mirrors instead of the big chrome suckers.

Anyway this is the car that is going to be the basis of the 80 Cutlass build thread since the paper work for the other one has turned up missing (I'm sure I will find it eventually) and that car will become the parts car for this one. It is also a much better starting point and much more solid of a car. The car has another aluminum hood and hydroboost brakes (that is 2 of the hoods and 3 hydroboost setups I have). I will post up more once I start digging into it.

Oh the car has only has 2 owners before me and they were in the same family (mother and daughter). They still have all of the original sales paperwork and pamphlets and the like they are going to try and dig up and get to me as well. When I bought the car she was practically in tears because the car was going somewhere else and it had been such a big piece of her family memories. I got the car for $300.

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I am not parting this car out it is going to be the base for my project. How is this car rare? And just how rare is it? Around here finding any A/G body is rare. My old Cutlass (the other 80) is the one that will get parted out.

The plans on this is to swap the motor, which does not run, and to swap the seats and clean up the interior which is fairly trashed.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Actually my neighbors son is wanting to buy my 79. This car went right in the shop so it can be worked on right away.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Well I rummaged about the Olds a bit more today and found out it has the aluminum bumper supports so that is good. By the looks of it I have a TH350 trans underneath though I don't know how to tell the difference from a Th350 and TH350C when in the car. Is there something that would help me ID it? The dust cover for the flexplate is gone so I can see the fly wheel. Just a regular old 7.5 rear (dang no swapped in 8.5 or posi). The interior is the camel brown with vinyl seats. Some of the trim is alright and others are complete trash, both door pull straps are falling apart. My favorite part of the interior is that gauge panel.

I am a little grumpy at the car at the moment because the hood is stuck and I can't get it open :evil:

Blazenlotus

G-Body Guru
Mar 4, 2010
Stockton, MO
Nice find. I wish I could find a decent parts car around here. These people around here think they got gold sitting in there yard.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
88hurstolds said:
Why would you part out an extremely rare car?
Sell it to someone who will apreciate it and find another one... :wtf:
Misread the post but regardless you're still butchering up a very rare DIESLE Cutlass.
Very little made with a diesel motor, and even fewer survive... looks complete and restoreable.
Also, youre gonna have to swap the fuel tank, lines, electrical/ignition (glow plug setup) at minimum.
I'd clean it up and sell it for $1500 and use the cash to find one with a gasoline setup and buckets/console since those are gonna need to all be welded in anyways.
Its just sad to see rare cars get the ax when there are plenty of other more common ones to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor