Another floor pan thead

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I am looking at New floor pans for my current project. I was looking at the full floors, but they dont extend up to the rockers.
I've found a few 1/2 sections online. I am looking for feedback on what others have used. Again, I am looking for New 1/2 floor sections.

OPG has them listed for $286.99 each and say they are made in USA from heavy gauge steel.
They look exactly like the Sherman part listed on Summit. They both show the part from the bottom and have the Left and Right pictures switched. (or am I seeing it wrong?)They are both bare metal, rather than the EDP coated panels.

The Goodmark is what I currently have. Bought it at Carlise a few years back and didn't realize it didn't extend up to the rockers.

https://www.opgi.com/malibu/1979/sheet-metal-body-panels/floor-pans/99LM200/

https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1979/make/chevrolet/model/malibu?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=floor pans

These are both Sherman parts. The coated floor extends towards the back farther, The shorter, bare metal part is $40.00 more. Is this one made in USA and the other imported? Thanks for any help.....

Compare
Back to Results
Larger Image Larger ImageBrandSherman PartsSherman PartsManufacturer's Part Number710-46CL710-46TRPart TypeFloor PanelsFloor PanelsProduct LineSherman Floor Pan SectionsSherman Floor Pan SectionsSummit Racing Equipment Part NumberSHI-710-46CLSHI-710-46TRPrice
$215.99

$173.99

82 cutty

n00b
Jun 7, 2018
muskegon
I was weighing the options of either going half or full, and I saved by buying a full pan from CarID.com. Paid $385 and it’s made by Goodmark already coated. No floor pans extend all the way up, as I am having the problem in finding the actual piece that does. You can see the factory seam line in the car. Good luck!

Roddarius

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 23, 2011
Louisiana
Use what you have the person that doing it can make any pieces that’s needed with sheet metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
All of them are patches, not reproductions of the original gm panel, and aren't going to get you to the pinch weld points from gm.

Really it's a question of where your rust is at and go from there.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I looked at them in person at swap meets and the like.

I've chopped up a couple hundred parts cars throught the years. When Ive wanted to patch any floors (doesn't really happen much since moving south) I still cut from a donor car and drill out the spot welds if need be to go that high.

I keep watching the newer versions of floors so I know when I can quit doing that... hasn't happened yet though.

As an aside, when looking at patch panels versus donor parts from a used/parts car, there IS one other consideration too.

Many companies have tried overcoming the previous stigma of aftermarket parts by advertising "same gauge thickness as original!!!" but what they leave out is that the strength of that steel is not the same quality as original... whatever alloy they're stamping out is much softer than what was in use back in the day in some cases.

It why aftermarket reproductions "same thickness as original" I've had experience with on c/k series trucks dent from minimal use - even goodmark pieces. Had one of their tailgates dent from the force it took to close it. Literally. I've heard worse on the bedsides from others but never tried one myself.

I haven't bought a pan and had it stress tested vs the originals, but, I'd bet you would find it tear sooner and be less durable generally. Different alloys may be more rust prone due to steel impurities too, regardless of any edp coating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor