Another FNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay 84 H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2021
And if you don’t know what an FNG is…you’re probably one too!
That’s right, I’m a new guy. Heard about this forum for years, but just decided to join as I “Think” I’m about to pull the trigger on an original, good condition 84 H/O. IF I land it, my intentions (over time of course) are to do a bit of disassembly and reassemble it the way GM should have, had they not been shackled by the almighty EPA. If this 84 H/O we’re a pristine cream puff I’d be leaving it alone. However, this is a 103,*** mile, clean driver of a car. I intend to leave the appearance completely stock, right down to a full black engine. Wish me luck!

Reactions: 9 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We were all FNG’s at one time or another.
Welcome to the forum.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Good luck with the acquisition. Start a build thread if you land it.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Welcome.

I'm a FOG. One day, if you don't do something completely stupid with matches and gasoline, y'all will be one too.

For fun, just exactly how do you think GM should have built the 84 H/O??

Reactions: 3 users

Jay 84 H/O

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 24, 2021
Welcome.

I'm a FOG. One day, if you don't do something completely stupid with matches and gasoline, y'all will be one too.

For fun, just exactly how do you think GM should have built the 84 H/O??
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I too hope to become a FOG one day. 😁

As for how I think the H/O (and the 442’s of the era) should have been built? Let me start by saying I think GM did a good job with what they were allowed to do. The 8.5” rear, higher stall converter, larger anti-sway bars, larger wheels and much more. The fact that they milked every bit of power they could from what really is a great engine, and stayed within the guidelines. This gets tricky, because I think we ALL have different ideas for what the car “should” have been. But again, we have to consider the times and the restrictions GM had to deal with.
for me, it comes down to more power and better handling. What if GM had given us the foundation for more power?? Say, put a 350 in the car, but leave the smog heads in it so it’s “legal”? Then, a guy could spend a little cash on some heads and an intake and wahlah …now we’re on to something! Granted, that can be done to the 307, but the engine just doesn’t support those modifications. More power is there, but at what cost? I think some suspension upgrades would have been nice too. Better control arms and such. In short, make the car perform just as awesome as it looks. Basically, build a Grand National! 😂🤣
Your thoughts?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Turbo'ed 307 with good rods, steel (330 style) crank, forged pistons and SFI would have been the ticket.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor