Another header gasket thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
This ticking is driving me crazy..... I lost a header bolt and now that its replaced I still get that annoying header tick.tick.tick.tick..... so what is everybody using for header gaskets nowadays ?

IIRC I was using off-the-shelf fel-pro something or other ( I think 1404's ). Any need to spend more $$ on better offerings ?

Vortech headed SBC into TES shortly headers if that matters :)

thx

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I got sick of the same problem on my wife's Camaro. I got a set of Mr. Gasket Copper seal gaskets and some Stage 8 locking bolts. Haven't had any more problems. It cost about $100 for everything but it was worth it.
mrg-7153_cp_ml.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always used SCE copper embossed header gaskets, they are reusable and since the embossed part puts tension on the header bolts I have never used anything but standard ARP 3/8" head stainless header bolts and have never had any issues with bolts loosening even with solid mounts and a big block.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I got sick of the same problem on my wife's Camaro. I got a set of Mr. Gasket Copper seal gaskets and some Stage 8 locking bolts. Haven't had any more problems. It cost about $100 for everything but it was worth it. View attachment 53456
Couldn't agree more! Copper is the way to go.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Remflex gaskets are the best I've used so far. However I had some cheap gaskets on mine and never had an issue.

Never had any luck with the copper gaskets. They always leaked.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I will say that with any embossed header gasket you do have make sure that the seal fits the matting surfaces for both the header and the exhaust port on the head since a mismatch could cause a leak but for Chevy's there is a gasket for just about every possible combination out there.
Flatout is also another brand that makes quality copper header gaskets, I bought some for my SBC project to fit a d-port exhaust to a oval header tube and the fit was great but I have yet to install them.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
hmm, I think I may just stick with the cheapies per what you all have said so far. Really "want" to dump my TES system for full lengths but really I cant justify it right now so I will run what I got for a while longer.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
I have used these before with great success, they're made of multiple thin sheets of aluminum and crush together to make a great seal.
image.png

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Remflex gaskets are the best I've used so far. However I had some cheap gaskets on mine and never had an issue.

Never had any luck with the copper gaskets. They always leaked.

I use Remflex gaskets as well, never had a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor