Another headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I did my Bonnewagon headliner maybe 10-15 years ago. Professional shop re-covered the board and I did the install. Now it is falling again. Is there a better way to do this? No shops anymore near me. I wanted to use a plastic or fiberglass board that I could re-finish without using that foam backed material again. I am even contemplating some bumpy-textured plastic sheets I saw at Home Depot. Cut them to fit and be done with it.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That one guy covered corrugated plastic in Hawaiian shirt print in a Malibu wagon. ABS sheet would work, too. Fiberglass would suck, but you could resin the fiberboard. The foam backing hides the lumps a little.

Reactions: 1 users

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I carefully taped my rotten headliner back together where pieces had broken away....then bought some fiberglass matt/resin and coated the back side of the headliner. The result was a very solid replacement. After the fiberglass set, I got the orbital sander out and got rid of all the fluff and foam on the front face then glued replacement foam and fabric in place. You will need to remove the front windshield to get it back in though cos the headliner is now rock solid...

P81027-230122.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I recall seeing whole replacements. The one thing i think about is sound deadening.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Last edited:

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
I have thought to use fiberglass resin and use the woven 'glass mesh over the board to increase strength, then add another light layer of resin then scuff and paint it.

1605232710652.png

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did my Bonnewagon headliner maybe 10-15 years ago. Professional shop re-covered the board and I did the install. Now it is falling again. Is there a better way to do this? No shops anymore near me. I wanted to use a plastic or fiberglass board that I could re-finish without using that foam backed material again. I am even contemplating some bumpy-textured plastic sheets I saw at Home Depot. Cut them to fit and be done with it.
The best fix there was went away with the original J.C. Whitney. They used to sell a replacement kit with bows back in the day. I wish I would of picked up one when I did have the chance.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
How bad is the board? Can it be saved? Maybe use some fiberglass repair or Gorilla tape on the back side to shore up weak areas. Not sure about if the fiberglass resin would affect the foam. I'm assuming with a wagon you can get the thing out the back without much issue? If so, having it not be quite as flexible would be much of a concern. Never examined a wagon headliner so I may be talking out of my azz.

A plastic wire brush is awesome for removing the glue and foam boogers from the foam. Just go lightly. Get the foam headliner you want and some 3M headliner contact glue and get on it.

• Agree

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I swear I read on here before that the after market headliners weren’t worth the money. I’m going to be pulling my Elco one out soon to check the main structure. I’d like to re-do it with vinyl since my interior ix a non-Gbody color and i can paint the vinyl to match. I’ve got a trim shop real close that I’ve used before that remade a bowed headliner for a small car I did years ago for only $60.00. Maybe I’ll check with them at least for they’re advice.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I agree with 69hurstolds I used my original board and cleaned it, got some material from Jo Ann's fabric - sprayed the board and material and put it on. It's been over 15 years still looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor