Another headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I get the foam backed material method and last time the shop did it nicely. But my Firebird used a perforated vinyl material. That would look great but how is that applied? Is it also foam backed? That car is long gone so I can't examine it. I think the board is in very good condition from what I remember.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I get the foam backed material method and last time the shop did it nicely. But my Firebird used a perforated vinyl material. That would look great but how is that applied? Is it also foam backed? That car is long gone so I can't examine it. I think the board is in very good condition from what I remember.
It is usually foam backed, but it is a closed cell, closer to the backer board material.

Reactions: 1 user

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I cleaned my headliner board and got material from Walmart, sprayed it with 3M headliner glue and it still looks good from about 8 years ago. I do drive with my t-tops out quite a bit.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I'm not quite sure how the perforated fabric in the Firebird would be applied, but I would think it would be almost free floating, perhaps suspended by bows.
When I did the headliner in my P car it was a perforated vinyl that was stretched over, and if I recall used bows to help suspend it....like a VW bug...which I 've also done a headliner in many moons ago.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Some late 70s Firebirds/Camaros had the perforated headliner material. It was kinda like thin vinyl with holes in it. Why did it need the holes anyway? But it had spongy foam or foam like stuff on the backing with the fiber board. You would apply this the same way as a typical G-body fabric headliner, I would imagine, but likely apply the glue with a brush or something on the back side of the headliner material perhaps? You wouldn't want to get glue up in the holes and have it come out there. It likely wouldn't if you "webbed" the glue in place on the back of the foam and didn't put it on too heavy. Because you sort of have to let the glue dry to a tacky state anyway. Once you put the two together it's instant bond time.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack the '67-'69 Firebirds had the steel bows and some decent headliner material. I think that carried over to around '75 or so. Then it was glued to cardboard just like our G-bodies. My '77 TA had very nice black perforated vinyl that I would not mind having in my wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor