Another kick in the nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Dude, I am so very, very sorry that this happened to you. My brother in law had a fire in his shop and he thought he lost everything too. Once the insurance paid whatever it was that they paid, we spent several weekends helping him go through his tools and stuff. We bought a bench grinder and mounted a polishing wheel on one side and a buffer wheel on the other. We salvaged most of his hand tools and a lot of other stuff by cleaning them as best we could and them using a light compound on them. We finished with a good buff and most of them came out pretty well. Don't despair. Everyone is till alive.
BTW, the worst the place looks when the insurance folks come, the better for you. Let them see it how it really is. Except for the tank. Good luck.
That's basically what I'm gonna have to do. Ironic I had JUST bought a brand new bench grinder and put a wire wheel on it the night before. Now I get to buy another one just to clean the salvageable tools. Luckily most of the hand tools look salvageable, just gotta spend a few nights when this is all over to get that spot and smell off of them.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
That's basically what I'm gonna have to do. Ironic I had JUST bought a brand new bench grinder and put a wire wheel on it the night before. Now I get to buy another one just to clean the salvageable tools. Luckily most of the hand tools look salvageable, just gotta spend a few nights when this is all over to get that spot and smell off of them.
Just a thought. When we were helping my brother in law put his shop back together, one thing we saw was that a lot of the insulation on his wiring melted in spots. There lots of small (2" to 4") sections of bare wire showing through. Especially on the smaller gauge (thinner) wire. Also, although all of his breakers looked ok, a couple wouldn't throw because they were basically cooked inside the breaker cover. Good luck putting it back together.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Just a thought. When we were helping my brother in law put his shop back together, one thing we saw was that a lot of the insulation on his wiring melted in spots. There lots of small (2" to 4") sections of bare wire showing through. Especially on the smaller gauge (thinner) wire. Also, although all of his breakers looked ok, a couple wouldn't throw because they were basically cooked inside the breaker cover. Good luck putting it back together.
Funny you mentioned that. While I was in the house changing I noticed the lights in the house flickered twice.

I didn't realize it was because my garage was burning. But that said, it never tripped the breaker in the house that feeds the garage.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor