MALIBU Another one bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
If the frame tails are good, then most likely the rest of the frame is also. The frame alone is worth $200-500 in these parts.

But if the frame tails are rotted off, then most likely the rest of the floor pans/trunk pans/underside is whooptified as well from rust. Would be nice to see though. Any idea where it's located?
The article mentioned Denver.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84cutlasssupreme

Apprentice
Nov 2, 2019
If this car was in the U.S., could've been a victim of Obama's cash for clunkers program. Lots of people made money by turning their cars in and I saw a lot of nice, still serviceable cars and trucks sitting at yards, dealers,etc. that couldn't be touched by law. Shame & stupid but that's part of the war on cars & the fossil fuel powered engines.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
If this car was in the U.S., could've been a victim of Obama's cash for clunkers program. Lots of people made money by turning their cars in and I saw a lot of nice, still serviceable cars and trucks sitting at yards, dealers,etc. that couldn't be touched by law. Shame & stupid but that's part of the war on cars & the fossil fuel powered engines.

The vehicles traded in had to be 25 years or newer for the C4C program, so the early a/g-bodies were spared. Forget which year it was, 2009/2010? So 1984 or newer I think was the thing. Did hear of and I'm sure many g-bodies were wasted this way, I recall a pretty decent looking 87/88 SS in Indiana was a victim I saw in a picture that circulated around then, supposedly a C4C car. But I've seen cars scrapped that make you scratch your head, happens everywhere. The guy who runs a FB page acquired a 87' GN that was complete turned into a yard in I think Lousiana originally.

This March a local yard I go to had a 85' SS that looked like it could of drove there, the yard owner/management person decided to keep it for himself, I had to call during the week to talk to him after seeing it. A little rusty and worn but to some people it's just an old car as others have said.

Attachments

• C761737B-DED1-4A1D-8D52-DCE8623B384F.jpeg
    C761737B-DED1-4A1D-8D52-DCE8623B384F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 868C3F9A-8A04-44C4-862B-A6BA5482EBCF.jpeg
    868C3F9A-8A04-44C4-862B-A6BA5482EBCF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
  • 4B1B1213-5404-4FFE-A2BC-3643AD7797B2.jpeg
    4B1B1213-5404-4FFE-A2BC-3643AD7797B2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
true that most end up meeting this fate because of " non-car" people, sometimes there are other reasons...

I've been to some estate auctions, where a car-guy has passed away, and the family doesn't know it's worth (I bought my 87 GP t-top car like this, for $650). other reasons may be for reasons like title issues. I've almost come to that with my decent 86 Salon. I've had title issues the entire 8 years I've owned it, and almost went this route once or twice...

Reactions: 1 users

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
UTG sums up the U Pull it nicely:

If you see something at a u pull it yard even remotely resembling a classic/collector/cult car etc. whoever sent it there probably hadn't a clue what they were looking at. Locally in the Denver area there's plenty of U Pull Its but there's at least an equal number of yards that specialize in the older classics where the cars could potentially be saved (Roadkill's Disgustang is perfect example of a car that came out of Denver junkyard).

Sometimes it necessary to send a car to junkyard, but the U Pull it yards should be reserved for Late(ish) model garbage to go to.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Local yard by where I am places anything like that in its own section near the back corner. Rarely are any of those cars crushed. They just sit for years to be picked. That said here in the North East most have rust issues in the frame or body by the time they get there. Thy may look decent on the body but underneath you can tell where the salt ate them away.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor