Another QJet question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flowers85Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2015
I am moving onto the next item on my winter list for the 85 Cutlass. I want to address the QJet that is current on the car. I don't believe that it is the original (I may have it in a draw in Dad's garage). It starts and runs fine, but when I plug the red wire to the carb (see pic) it wants to die. Questions are: Should I be plugging that in? If so, what would cause it to kill the engine?
image.jpeg

Also just below the plug is a hose that is plugged by a screw. Is this due to the carb swap?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Not sure what you are plugging the red wire into but that wire is not stock. It looks like several parts have been disconnected for what ever reason.

Flowers85Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2015
Not sure what you are plugging the red wire into but that wire is not stock. It looks like several parts have been disconnected for what ever reason.

The red wire would plug into what I think is the idle solenoid in the center of the pic. It is currently unplugged and floating.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The red wire would plug into what I think is the idle solenoid in the center of the pic. It is currently unplugged and floating.

that solenoid is to raise the idle when the ac is on. The proper color for the wire for the solenoid is green.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
What I notice is the Q-Jet you have on there is from a Chevy if the fuel inlet is aiming toward the right fender. Your original should aim straight at the radiator. I believe the computer controlled Q-Jets have the same electrical plug ins. I can't see much in the pic but it looks like a 307 V8. If your AC is working, that solenoid should be hooked up. If its not plugged in and you turn on the AC, it will try to die at stoplights, signs, etc. Look at your two prong plug in on your AC compressor. Look for a double green wire in one slot. The extra coming out of that plug should go to the idle kick up solenoid. I am going off memory here cause its been awhile since I had a 307 equipped G Body so I could be wrong.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
If it is a Canadian car, that carb would be right but the CCC was only an option till 86 I believe, then standard. If it runs fine with no check engine lights and reasonable mileage, leave it alone.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
What I notice is the Q-Jet you have on there is from a Chevy if the fuel inlet is aiming toward the right fender. Your original should aim straight at the radiator. I believe the computer controlled Q-Jets have the same electrical plug ins. I can't see much in the pic but it looks like a 307 V8. If your AC is working, that solenoid should be hooked up. If its not plugged in and you turn on the AC, it will try to die at stoplights, signs, etc. Look at your two prong plug in on your AC compressor. Look for a double green wire in one slot. The extra coming out of that plug should go to the idle kick up solenoid. I am going off memory here cause its been awhile since I had a 307 equipped G Body so I could be wrong.

Olds CCC Qjets don't use a idle kicker solenoid like Chevy, they use a vacuum diaphragm called a idle load compensator, it is cleary the wrong Qjet for the motor. Somebody cobbled together a bunch of mismatching parts creating a real basketcase. We can't offer much help over the forum without personally inspecting the car to see how altered it is from stock.

This is what the correct Olds Qjet should look like. http://s983.photobucket.com/user/bg629/media/2012-06-01_21-54-06_997.jpg.html

Can't quite make out the casting code on the carb, could you the OP post it so we know what model it is supposed to go on? The code starts with 170.

Last edited:

Flowers85Cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 6, 2015
Current carb number is 17083204.

I have the original that will be on the list for a rebuild, but not sure when I can dedicate time to that. I prefer this to replacing and taking in back to original since very little has been touched on this car. Just rebuilt power steering pump when I could have just replaced it in minutes!

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Current carb number is 17083204.

I have the original that will be on the list for a rebuild, but not sure when I can dedicate time to that. I prefer this to replacing and taking in back to original since very little has been touched on this car. Just rebuilt power steering pump when I could have just replaced it in minutes!

You can send the Olds carb to Sean Murphy Induction, very good rebuilder. If you want to do it yourself I suggest getting a kit from either Qjet parts or Cliffs Performance. Most local parts stores carry cheap low grade rebuild kits that contain generic spec parts that aren't E10 proof.

The 7th digit on your carb is 0, indicating it is a Chevy carb and is a incorrect application. A correct Olds carb would have a 5 in the 7th digit. Qjets are application specific carbs, they are setup and built for individual applications, unlike aftermarket carbs that are near universal application. The idle circuit in Qjets is the most application specific area of the carb. Chevy Qjets have more idle air bypass than Olds Qjet and very different air bleed setups. You will never get a Olds engine to run right with a Chevy carb, especially idle and low speed.

Don't know why someone would install a incorrect Qjet for? That red wire isn't stock, somebody hot wired the idle kicker since Olds are supposed to use a ISC, not a kicker solenoid. Plus I see some disconnected vacuum lines, somebody really fooled around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor