Another "what's it worth" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotimmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2015
Amity, PA
I picked this car up from a good friend of mine's neighbor back in the spring with full intentions of doing a full Turbo V6 drivetrain swap from an 87 T. With all the other things I've got going on right now, I think it's best if I just move on.
The car is an 81 Regal 2 door. It's the weirdest option G body I've owned, and I've had a lot of em. The car is a red metallic with a white landau top, no power options, no a/c, bucket seats and console, no tilt, 265 pontiac V8, 200 metric trans, posi rear, F41 suspension, and that's about it. It's only the second Regal I've ever seen with a/c delete.
The body is about as honest as you can get. All original paint in nice shape, and ZERO rust. I mean ZERO. The doors still close like new. The chrome has some very light pitting, but is still really presentable. Car has 29,600 original miles on it, and was last PA inspected in 2005. The interior is also really nice. The vinyl bucket seats are still firm, and the plastic moldings don't show any signs of dry rot. The only thing the car really needs cosmetically is new bumper fillers and a headliner, just like every original g body.
I put a new Spectra gas tank in it along with a new sender to get it running. I have had the motor running, and I've even put a few miles on it running around my house. Car now has a carb problem which I'll be looking at this weekend, and the smog tubes need replaced. Problem is, I don't want to invest a bunch of money into fixing the smog stuff on a motor that's more than likely gonna be swapped out anyway. So realistically, what's something like this worth? Is it worth a bunch more if I get it running? I wouldn't be looking to get rich on it, but I would like to see someone put a bad *ss drivetrain in it. I can't imagine anybody wanting to keep the 265 in it.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long winded post. I'll try and add pics soon.
Tim

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Tim - it's worth what ever you can get. Remember you can always go down but can't go up. I've had 2 mint cars that I thought would bring good money. A 21,000 mi Regal that I got $3,400.00 for and a 52,000 mi GP LJ that I got $3,200.00 w/ many new parts including engine (you have the carb off the engine I rebuilt)

1981.jpg

IMG_4949.JPG

turbotimmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2015
Amity, PA
That's seems awful cheap for those two cars. I'm in this regal for more than what you sold yours for, and it's not road worthy yet.
Your carb was sacrificed for some parts that were missing from my original. It runs good now. Thanks again.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I hate to say it but I think if you are already into past $3,400 you will be lucky to break even with a low optioned 81' Regal,
in my opinion.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
That's seems awful cheap for those two cars. I'm in this regal for more than what you sold yours for, and it's not road worthy yet.
Your carb was sacrificed for some parts that were missing from my original. It runs good now. Thanks again.

Ya I thought so to - started at $5000 and kept coming down, took a year to sell, was even posted here.

turbotimmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2015
Amity, PA
Thanks for your opinions guys. I guess I overestimated the value. I figured someone would love the stripper version to make into a race car. I'll probably put it way till I get enough time to really dig into it. Too nice of a car to just give away.
Tim

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You should post some pictures anyways you never know who might be interested, if I was looking for a Regal back when lilbowtie was selling his I would have bought it but instead I am doing rust repair on the one I settled on for $1200.

turbotimmer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2015
Amity, PA
I will wipe the dust off and get pics in the next day or two. It really is a time capsule. I wish I would have found this car before I patched up my WH1.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Tim - it's worth what ever you can get. Remember you can always go down but can't go up. I've had 2 mint cars that I thought would bring good money. A 21,000 mi Regal that I got $3,400.00 for and a 52,000 mi GP LJ that I got $3,200.00 w/ many new parts including engine (you have the carb off the engine I rebuilt)

View attachment 53182
View attachment 53181

that GP was clean and very beautiful!

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I still believe they will go up in value in the future! as long as nothing stupid happens!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor