Any advantage to installing upper tubular control arms on 87 el?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C7illini

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 22, 2021
I am replacing the engine in my 87 el,wondering about replacing upper a arms with tubular,has eibach lowering springs and all the f41 braces and a helwig sway bar,11/8” l think. Thanks. Rod

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I am replacing the engine in my 87 el,wondering about replacing upper a arms with tubular,has eibach lowering springs and all the f41 braces and a helwig sway bar,11/8” l think.
i think a lot of times it depends on what you're looking to get from an aftermarket control arm,if you're just after something that has a certain look without any geometry change/gain then the market is full of them.they're just copies of a stocker made from tubing. the oe arm design is just fine for what some of of us are using our rides for.the idea of a fatigued lower ball joint location on an 35+ year old arm under my car is enough for me to look for a replacement though.
pick a company that incorporates some math into them.that way you're actually gaining something,invest in some taller ball joints they'll work in your favor.if you're gonna spend your hard earned money on some replacement arms why not do it in the name of better geometry = better alignment.you want to find some upper arms that offer increased caster by design and when loaded with a taller ball joints also improved camber curve for better handling etc.as far as which company to go with,do your home work and read up see what the company has to say about what EXACTLY their product has to offer your car.other than a certain look.

Reactions: 5 users

C7illini

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 22, 2021
i think a lot of times it depends on what you're looking to get from an aftermarket control arm,if you're just after something that has a certain look without any geometry change/gain then the market is full of them.they're just copies of a stocker made from tubing. the oe arm design is just fine for what some of of us are using our rides for.the idea of a fatigued lower ball joint location on an 35+ year old arm under my car is enough for me to look for a replacement though.
pick a company that incorporates some math into them.that way you're actually gaining something,invest in some taller ball joints they'll work in your favor.if you're gonna spend your hard earned money on some replacement arms why not do it in the name of better geometry = better alignment.you want to find some upper arms that offer increased caster by design and when loaded with a taller ball joints also improved camber curve for better handling etc.as far as which company to go with,do your home work and read up see what the company has to say about what EXACTLY their product has to offer your car.other than a certain look.
Thanks for the reply ,want it to ride and handle well! Rod

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You will not gain any handling or change the ride when switching from a stock arm to a tubular arm.

Most handling comes from a geometry change, firm bushings, stiffer shocks and higher spring rate. Ride comes from all that but opposite.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor