Any AGM batteries to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Heard some stories about Optima going downhill but if you look some of those posts online are from over 10 years ago, take it with a grain of salt like anything you hear. I had red top's in each of Monte's and while they are getting weak now they are from 2009/2010. I removed one this spring, or should say didn't put it back in, the other I think I can get more use out of and plan to buy another. With any car not driven regularly keeping the battery on a tender/maintenance charger is important.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I didn't have any luck with Optima Red Tops. Had three or four in my truck over 10 years. The one in my brother's 78 Z28 didn't last well either. I'm done with them. There are too many other options (at least here) for AGM's that fit better, and so far, last better.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
With any car not driven regularly keeping the battery on a tender/maintenance charger is important.
Totally agree. We've been pretty late to the battery tender party but I'm a total believer now. I have one on the lead-acid battery in the Roadmaster, one on my brother's 78 Z28 with a Super Start AGM and one on the Diehard AGM in my dad's 62 Galaxie.

Reactions: 2 users

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
When I was into sound systems I used 2 yellow cap optimas and a power cap. This was in the 2008 time frame but I still have friends who use the same setup and it works.

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
Need one that I can get in Canada here.

I've decided between Optima and ACDelco so far. Basically something that can handle the Canadian hell we call winter, but also something for my 2000 watt amp that drives 2 Cerwin Vega subwoofers.

Let me know, thanks guys.
Just a question but why would you drive a nice old car in Ontario in the winter?

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Just a question but why would you drive a nice old car in Ontario in the winter?
Because it's already been driven in the winter since '04 by the previous owner, and has been undercoated annually since.

Also, my Pontiac is my summer driver, and it's body has no rust compared to this one.

Donagain

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2017
Because it's already been driven in the winter since '04 by the previous owner, and has been undercoated annually since.

Also, my Pontiac is my summer driver, and it's body has no rust compared to this one.
Makes sense . I don't know about the Caprice but the LeMans has holes in the bottom of the frame right behind the rear wheels for the body mount bolts and the salt spray rots the frame from the inside . Thats what killed my first LeMans. Rear ended at ten kmh and the back end collapsed . Not another spec of rust on the car .When I bought this one the first thing the mechanics did was shine a light inside that hole . They told me all GBodys are rotten in the same spot. I don't know how much salt they put on the roads in Alberta but Ontario is stupid with it.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Makes sense . I don't know about the Caprice but the LeMans has holes in the bottom of the frame right behind the rear wheels for the body mount bolts and the salt spray rots the frame from the inside . Thats what killed my first LeMans. Rear ended at ten kmh and the back end collapsed . Not another spec of rust on the car .When I bought this one the first thing the mechanics did was shine a light inside that hole . They told me all GBodys are rotten in the same spot. I don't know how much salt they put on the roads in Alberta but Ontario is stupid with it.
The rear frame of my Caprice has a rusty body mount, it's being looked at by a mechanic right now to get the safety all finished. Bonneville however had shitty floors and a crack in the frame rail near the steering box, thankfully it was fixed with a 1/4 piece of steel bar.

Both of my vehicles are currently here in Ontario, and Alberta cars do get rusty but it seems to be not as huge of a deal.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Ontario vehicles are brutal for rot compared to Prairie vehicles. I saw Interstate and even Canadian Tire has the AGM batteries available locally here in Saskatchewan.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
AGM batteries = marketing ploy.

Double the price for 50% longer life span.

I'm paying enough Mexicans with my taxes. No support from me for anything made in 'the land of contaminate the earth with no repercussions' , otherwise known as MeHeCo.

Two companies make batteries in PA, I buy from them.

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor