Any difference in G-Body & Grand Cherokee 800 steering boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My 605 steering box leak has gone from a small drip to nearly a steady stream, so I need to replace it immediately. I've decided to forego the junkyard route and buy a new (reman) 800 unit. Just for kicks, I have been searching the local parts stores for two gear boxes: one for an '87 Monte Carlo SS w/Z65 Sport pkg, and one for a '95 Grand Cherokee. Not surprisingly, the pricing is pretty consistent across the board.

Something I noticed: at every store, the Monte Carlo box is about $20 cheaper than the Grand Cherokee box. All the threads indicate these boxes are interchangeable, though they carry different part numbers and I cannot figure out what the difference(s) might be. Is there any reason to pony up for the Jeep gearbox? Or will I be just as content with the Monte Carlo unit?

I'm looking to get the ball rolling on this ASAP, so any comments/experience would be greatly appreciated.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
If the boxes come with the pitman arm, get the Monte box. If they do not include the pitman arm, you will need to get a 800 box pitman arm. The 605 pitman arm will not work on an 800 box. timo22

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the only difference i know of is the amount of rotation travel in the pitman arm shaft. the monte is spec'ed at 78.5 degrees and the jeep is spec'ed at 87.5 degrees. that means, with the jeep box, you'll have a smaller, tighter turning radius, but your tires may rub near full steering wheel lock.
joe

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
The 605 pitman arm will not work on an 800 box.

I do recall reading that, so I am prepared to get one of those also.

the only difference i know of is the amount of rotation travel in the pitman arm shaft.

Awesome--that's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks, gang.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Would it be possible for someone to create a sticky with all the pertinent info, please?

I'm good on concept, but lost on details (operating pressures, pitman arm interchangability, fitting styles, etc...)

78chevolds

Greasemonkey
Jun 25, 2013
I agree. My 605 in my 78 Cutlass is leaking bad. I was thinking of getting the Camaro/Trans Am box from Rock Auto that has the quicker ratios. I compared the connections to my Camaro and it should bolt up. I was thinking getting a new pitman arm but order that for a 350 Cutlass. I was going to use the existing power steering pump and new hoses from that pump to the new box

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
A Cherokee unit with pitman from a U pull it style yard would be a really inexpensive route. If your 30+ year old unit is just now recently leaking, the used unit could probably get you a few years of leak free service. I did a seal kit in one of my steering boxes and I think it was under $20 for the kit. My local O'Reilley could not get me another Monte SS box. It showed unavailable in their system for a 1986 Monte Carlo SS. So basically, I got their last one. It leaks out the front case and I tried re sealing it twice. It now sits in the garage in the box. I may do the Cherokee box from my local U pull it yard on my future Century turbo project

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor