Any guesses on HP for this 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I put together an Olds 403 for my '79 Supreme. Wondering if anyone would care to take a stab on what type of horsepower and torque this motor is making. Here's the combo.

1977 model 403
Stock heads with a resurface, light home porting, stock valves, heat riser holes filled in.
Stock pistons and bores, put a rering kit in it with new bearings, std. crank and rods
Running an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Demon 650 carb, Cheap ebay HEI distributor
Longtube headers with 1 5/8" primaries.
I'm running the generic camshaft that has .442 lift on the intake and .472 lift on the exhaust (or vice versa, I don't remember the exact numbers on the cam, but its a very common Olds swap cam.)
I also added the fully adjustable rocker arm setup made by Comp Cams. Had to use some custom sized pushrods, but it was worth it.
I think the stock numbers on this engine were around 180 HP and maybe 300 lb-ft of torque.
Only thing the engine is turning are an alternator and a water pump.

Car runs good, but I'm still using the th200 and the 2.29 rear gear.

Any guesstimates?

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
270/385 flywheel.

Edit:-100 from each for pitiful compression ratio and no flow heads.

Last edited:

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
230/350 at the crank

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Thanks for the input. I'll put her on the track and see which guess is the closest. I was thinking 222/325. Car pulls good from 2500 to 4500. Those 2.29 make that 2000 rpm spread last a WHILE.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
In my mind are a few things that you need to do to get a ton of horsepower out of the 403… The first thing is you really need to raise the compression to something greater than 9 to 1. A good cam and good flow thru the heads will also help.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
In my mind are a few things that you need to do to get a ton of horsepower out of the 403… The first thing is you really need to raise the compression to something greater than 9 to 1. A good cam and good flow thru the heads will also help.
I'm thinking my compression is closer to 8:1. I didn't shave the heads and I used a stock fel-pro head gasket. I knew that would be an issue with this build. The 403 was a budget build and I really enjoyed putting the old Olds together. That was my first Olds motor. Next up, I've got a 455 waiting on the back burner. I've put together several SBC's and when money comes into consideration, It's hard to dig into an old Oldsmobile. They ain't cheap.

Mike T

Greasemonkey
Mar 25, 2018
Baton Rouge, LA
If you want to take the time to get me some specs., I can run the numbers through my computer dyno program and give you some numbers that should be close to real time. If you do, let me know and I'll give you a list of what i need.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
If you want to take the time to get me some specs., I can run the numbers through my computer dyno program and give you some numbers that should be close to real time. If you do, let me know and I'll give you a list of what i need.
Yeah Mike, let's do that. I don't have the software and sure don't have access to a dyno. Shoot me a list. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor