Any Heavy Equipment Tech's in the house?

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
I work in engineering / manage quality/ product support for a plant that produces off-road equipment.

We use JCB power-trains which are Tier 4 Final emissions compliant.

Going on year 3 of this current engine, we have a real issue with trouble codes coming up daily.

75% of the time they appear to mean nothing but the rest it turns out to be a fault which needs repair. Machines going into limp mode or shutting down.

I've argued that we need to investigate switching engine suppliers. These things are always "down" out in the field and our customers are extremely frustrated.

My question is, does anyone have similar stories with Cat, Cummins or anything else?

I don't think others are as problematic as JCB.

Looking for feedback from anyone who deals with this day to day.
Modify message

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
You rang! I work all of them frequently. In my experience JCB seem to be problematic over all. The problem with JCB and John Deer is if it is a hard code or a non listed code, you need the software to fix them. Only the dealers can have that. The biggest problems with all of them is the emissions equipment. If you go with an engine that is marketed over seas like Duetze, Hino, Mercedes there is less emissions problems. The emissions laws are a lot stricter in Europe. Here in the states we are like ten years behind them. So the bugs and problems have been worked out all ready. If it was me I would go with a Duetze all day long. Hope that helps you.

Reactions: 1 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
You rang! I work all of them frequently. In my experience JCB seem to be problematic over all. The problem with JCB and John Deer is if it is a hard code or a non listed code, you need the software to fix them. Only the dealers can have that. The biggest problems with all of them is the emissions equipment. If you go with an engine that is marketed over seas like Duetze, Hino, Mercedes there is less emissions problems. The emissions laws are a lot stricter in Europe. Here in the states we are like ten years behind them. So the bugs and problems have been worked out all ready. If it was me I would go with a Duetze all day long. Hope that helps you.

It does.

we also use Koehler and have no issues. None.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor