Any negative impacts to having lengthy coil wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
I finally decided to relocate the ignition coil on my 87 El Camino away from the top of the intake manifold and close to the distributor to the passenger side inner fender well. With the Pertonix CD box sitting inside the cabin where the ECM used to be, my preference is to combine and route all these wires in one bundle. I'm wondering if there are any negative impacts to having a lengthy, 42" coil wire. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^What he said^
OEs used long coil wires. The 90s Dodge trucks with 5.2 & 5.9s had a coil wire about 4' long. Just be careful with your routing.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Resistance in a wire is a function of the wire gauge and the distance that the voltage has to travel. Longer wire/higher resistance. If you can lay your hands on some bulk length spark plug wire in 8.5 or larger, maybe consider making your coil lead from that.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Thanks for your input guys! Here's what I ended up doing: I was able to find a vendor who sold a kit of coil/distributor boots and clips as well as a 4' length of wire to match my ignition's spark plug wires which are 8.5s. Haven't broken in engine yet so don't know if there is an issue.

Thanks again!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
^What he said^
OEs used long coil wires. The 90s Dodge trucks with 5.2 & 5.9s had a coil wire about 4' long. Just be careful with your routing.
I own one of these abominations and the coil and it's long wire isn't one of the issues with these trucks.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor