Any tricks to remove headliner from Malibu Wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
My headliner in my malibu wagon is gone. Only thing left is the foam and its falling aparts on me. Need to take it out and scrape all the foam off and redo the headliner. Just didnt know if there was any trick to remove the headliner out of the wagon? I need to be careful since i hear the stopped making some of the clips for the wagon.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
There's no real trick per se. It's just a matter of removing the perimeter trim, or garnish mouldings...remove the dome light which is held on by two small clips. There is a plastic trim that goes from side to side that helps support the rear section of the headliner.
That's about it in a nutshell. You're going to break clips, it's inevitable.

Oh, and be gentle pulling the headliner board(s) down. They're extremely brittle and break very easily.
You can repair cracks using fiberglass matting and resin.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
The headliner on my bonneville had no cloth left on it, just the foam. I got tired of foam raining on me. I used my shop vac and it really did a great job of removing the foam to the bare shell. Like Longroof79 said, just be careful because they are easy to break..timo22

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks guys for the help.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you Google the part #'s, you'll probably come up with something. Just be careful, there's some real sharks out there..
I believe the rear garnish moulding clips are being reproduced...I've seen them on one of the sites. You may have to buy a few more than you need, but it's worth it.

The rear side moulding clips are going to be more difficult to find, and will be OEM only.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Last edited:

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My neighbor is an interior guy I took mine out he wire brushed and shop vaced the fome off covered it with spray glue put the new fabric on from the center out then cut an x in the visor holes and the dome light hole and glued the tabs over the back. Made it ok easy took him like 20 minutes maybe a half hour

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
In the mid-90's, I spent hours rubbing my hands raw removing the foam boogers from my wagon headliner boards. I was worried that the glue would not stick. Make sure you use a spray contact cement rated for styrene plastic, or it will melt right through. I could not find the side molding clips, so I drilled holes through the metal trim and into the roof inner rails with a 1/8" bit, then ground/filed a bolt to a 45-degree taper with a 1/8" stub. Couple taps with a hammer on each trim hole, then a filister head stainless screw. Almost looked factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor