Any use F Body wheels on a G body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I searched but didn't find anything. Looking at the 86-87 Trans Am wheels, see link below, and I think with my champagne colored 84 El Camino. The bolt pattern looks the same but I'm not sure about other dementions or overall fit. I'll need new lug nuts for sure. Anyone else using F body wheels on their G Body's? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Pilot bore may be an issue. My avatar has S10 ZQ8 wheels, which are pretty much the same as 91+ Camaro wheels, and required the center bore to be opened slightly to fit over the hub on the rotors and axle pilot.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think these will work.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Pilot bore may be an issue. My avatar has S10 ZQ8 wheels, which are pretty much the same as 91+ Camaro wheels, and required the center bore to be opened slightly to fit over the hub on the rotors and axle pilot.
Maybe that's why I don't see any on G body's. By Pilot bore you mean the center hole right? I can measure my wheels and I'm sure I can find the measurement of the F body wheels somewhere.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I see that the S10 wheels are also listed as 70.3mm center bore.

I now wonder if the issue I encountered was with the radius of the hub at the transition to wheel mounting flange. I'd chalk it up to a fluke, but I've had 3 sets, and all required honing to sit flat on the flange. Maybe the chamfer on the back of the wheel's center bore wasn't large enough.

Anyway, worth verifying that the wheels go on and sit flat before cranking them down

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I also used a set of the 16x8 S10 rims, which were essentially IROC Camaro fronts. About 5 minutes filing on a 1mm tall casting ridge using a semicircular file, and the slipped over the rear axle centers. Note: the rears on the 16” Camaro and Firebird rims had a non-zero offset - the rear axle was 1-1/2” wider, maybe to buy a little more length for the axle shafts to twist before failure?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Used to be if you ran 4 GTA front wheels it was a knockoff of the GnX appearance. Aside from the whole dimpled vs non dimpled thing... a handful of tiny dots you get depending on year and some markings.

It's why you'll still find rears for sale without fronts

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
been running 16" iroc or trans am rims since '88. never had a problem with center bore hole. This pic is from '89 at the grand canyon. Front rims on the front, no spacers. Rear rims on back with 1"spacers. 245/50/16 tires all around.

Attachments

• IMAG0782.jpg
    IMAG0782.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Forget center bore, it's not an issue. Backspacing is your problem. You either have to run four front wheels, or a regular set with spacers on the wheels marked REAR.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Forget center bore, it's not an issue. Backspacing is your problem. You either have to run four front wheels, or a regular set with spacers on the wheels marked REAR.
So... 4 front wheels then?

Thanks for all the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor