Anybody else have this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Took the 'ol wagon out for a little cruise today while the rest of the family was off doing wedding rehearsal stuff.

I came to realize that it's going to be tough to really ever get anything done to it because I just enjoy driving it so much

Sure, i would like to get the drivetrain swap done, and paint it, and replace the interior panels I have for it, but all of these would require putting the car out of service for a while. I happen to be lucky enough to live where I can pretty much daily it year around, although on REALLY rainy days it stays home (2 miles of gravel/dirt road).

I guess the only real solution is to buy another G body to daily, so some of the others can get built? I have the opportunity to drive a lot of newer stuff at work, and frankly, l have no real interest in anything built in the last 20 years. Too much sloppy design and too expensive for commuter use. I don't need or care about heated seats, navigation, leather seats, butt warmers, touchscreens, bluetooth, heated/cooled consoles, or impressing the neighbors.

I know lots of members daily newer stuff, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.

Is this what getting old is all about?

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I would recommend that you build something else if you enjoy the car the way it is now. Don't fix what ain't broke. But, it doesn't have to be 100% complete to make it enjoyable either.

Personally I have too many projects and long Winters so downtime isn't a huge deal. I am about to realize the birth of our wagon in the next few weeks (months?), and after that I am back to rebuilding the MCSS. The Monte is car that has sat more than driven in the years I have owned it for a variety of reasons (I believe it has been apart for 5-6 years now); and truthfully I think I prefer it that way - I just like building stuff.

And you can really build some soul into certain late-model cars.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I can understand your dilemma, if we didn't have winter where I live I wouldn't have all the mods on GP that it has.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
We are all getting older. I am into less stress. My free time is way valuable and I am paying to have some things done that I always did myself.
I am doing what I enjoy. Working on the car, fishing, property and my long time wife and family and in no particular order
Cheers cause life is way short

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
l have no real interest in anything built in the last 20 years. Too much sloppy design and too expensive for commuter use.

Sloppier than an 80's GM product? :D I love my old iron as well. I've had many over the years, from Chevy II's to Corvairs to other 80's vehicles. Fit and finish on both of my G Bodies is not in the same zip code as a new vehicle. Not that it would sway my preference of driving an older vehicle. ;)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Kind of like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end it gets, the faster it goes

• Agree

KYMalibu

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2016
Amen ! , Absolutely agree. Get a toy to play with in the garage . That's what I did , and enjoy the my time I guess you could say. I look forward to it. Is the project taking forever ? Absolutely ,but I can work at my own pace , and not worry about it. Lol

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sloppier than an 80's GM product? :D I love my old iron as well. I've had many over the years, from Chevy II's to Corvairs to other 80's vehicles. Fit and finish on both of my G Bodies is not in the same zip code as a new vehicle. Not that it would sway my preference of driving an older vehicle. ;)

Not talking about fit and finish, talking about door panels that you can't remove without cracking/breaking them or damaging the door shell because the retainers are stouter than the panel, bumper covers that are designed to be assembled but not disassembled/serviced, moldings that have clips that cannot be removed intact, then the clips are not serviced, etc

There are so many parts on newer vehicles that have had no thought given to service/repairs that it boggles the mind. I figure the engineer's thought is "why would you be removing it unless you're going to replace it".

It's very apparent that the main focus is on how quickly/easily the vehicle can be assembled, with little regard given to in the field service. To me, that's sloppy...it's like they're saying they just want to get it built and sold and after that there is little concern for customer satisfaction (which IMO includes cost of repairs).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Not talking about fit and finish, talking about door panels that you can't remove without cracking/breaking them or damaging the door shell because the retainers are stouter than the panel, bumper covers that are designed to be assembled but not disassembled/serviced, moldings that have clips that cannot be removed intact, then the clips are not serviced, etc

There are so many parts on newer vehicles that have had no thought given to service/repairs that it boggles the mind. I figure the engineer's thought is "why would you be removing it unless you're going to replace it".

It's very apparent that the main focus is on how quickly/easily the vehicle can be assembled, with little regard given to in the field service. To me, that's sloppy...it's like they're saying they just want to get it built and sold and after that there is little concern for customer satisfaction (which IMO includes cost of repairs).

You are so right. We used to joke at the junk yard that new cars were engineered to be put together, not taken apart. This newer stuff can be very aggravating to work on.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor