Anybody hate the way the El Camino fuel fill door opens from the bottom???

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I sure did. This is how I modified it to open from the side. Just finished today.

My neighbor has an old S10 pickup bed that he's cutting up. Turns out that the fuel fill door not only opens from he side, but the size and contour are very, very close to the same as the El Camino.

Here's the parts he brought me (along with my original door for size comparison):

full

full

First thing was to cut S10 panel the size I wanted it to be. I then traced around it on the quarter panel for a line to cut.
Here it is with the quarter cut and the original 2 piece inner structure removed:

full

full

I didn't realize it at first but one of the two inner structure pieces is the seal on the inner quarter panel and must be re-installed in order to keep dirt and moisture from getting between the inner and outer panels. I drilled out the spot welds to separate the 2 pieces, clearanced the seal as necessary and reinstalled it with a few screws and seam sealer.

full

Here it is with the new donor panel tack welded in place. The backside of this also has seam sealer sealing it to the other piece of inner structure.

full

full

Weld ground smooth and fuel door installed:

full

full

The panel sunk in a little on the right side joint due to heat shrinkage and will need to be pulled back out. I figured it would do that since that side didn't have the support of the structure there. I don't own a stud welder so I will weld some 5/16" washers on their edge and pull them using a hook on the end of my slide hammer. I'll do that tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Creative
Reactions: 8 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I read that thread a long time ago and considered doing it that way. It just wasn't elegant enough for me and I nixed the idea.

Last edited:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice job man. Subtle difference that most people wouldn't catch. I like it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'm not quite sure I understand the elegant part but that's ok....:)
I wanted mine to look like factory both open and closed. His way doesn't do that. His is not a bad solution at all but not a perfect one.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wanted mine to look like a factory both open and closed. His way doesn't do that. His is not a bad solution at all but not a perfect one.

now I understand....like I said nice job, it difficult to weld sheet metal without deforming it ..:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor