Anybody know what tr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trix Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2006
Anybody know what transmission is in my car/

Just purchased a 80 GP with a 3.8 and an auto trans. Is it just s turbo 350 trans in this thing?
Will GM v8's bolt up to it?
Think I am going to keep the v6 in it for now and see how far i can push the v6 till (N2O) but when it breaks I am droping a v8 in it.

Going to be fun, car only has 30,000 miles on it and has been driven by a little Old Lady. I am thinking 4.11 Gears, Edelbrock performer cam, intake, carb, and some pacesetters headers into race bullet mufflers and a nice 100 shot to start. hopeing to get low 15's high 14s with the v6.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Waste of money IMO. Save the money on the mods, buy a 455 Buick, slap it in, already faster than all those mods, and way cooler. Or if you want easy HP, throw a SBC in. To check trans, www.oldsgmail.com > tech > trans > identification. Let us k now what you got in there.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Good advice, cheaper, easier and more effective with a SBC swap. You probably have a TH250C.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
Trix Prix,
Keep it Pontiac please, little more expensive though. 455, 428 or 400 will bolt right in. I think you have a 200 metric trans. Not real sure on the 80 though.
455 and a 350 turbo should be an easy swap.

383Camino

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2006
South Dakota
I agree, stick in some cubes, just as long as its not Chevy.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Go with a Chevy SB because the dollar cost per horsepower is lower than any other V8 engine, just shop around.

78lemans

Apprentice
Jan 13, 2006
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
See how far you can push the V6 until it breaks?? I'm surprised it doesn't have rod knock already! I'd bet your trans is a 200 metric. That's what came behind the 3.8 in my '78 Lemans. The only 3.8 worth messing around with is a turbo buick.....otherwise, go with a 400-455 Pontiac and a TH350/400. 455s aren't the easiest engine to locate, but you can find a 400 practically anywhere. :D

Trix Prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2006
I have no desire to "keep it pontiac" I have no allegiance to Pontiac or GM for that matter, it was just a clean cheap car i bought to have something to tinker with this summer( Paint work) I already own a 11 sec 03 Cobra so I have no desire but to maybe do a little bracket racing with this car.
I do want to send the rods through the block on the 3.8 before its over though, if the 100 shot does not get it done, maybe a 200 shot would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor