Anyone clear coat over patina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Thinking of clear coating my 78 Malibu wagon. Body is very straight, except the passenger door (which i plan to get the dent out) And was thinking, instead of painting it just clear coat it. What are yall thoughts?

Also plan on these wheels and lower the rear more.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MHT/608/U11118806145/10002/-1

garagebu.jpg

mywagon1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
I think that it would be really awesome to preserve all of that 'character' with a clear coat application. All of that patina on the roof is just plain awesome. I'm thinking that a satin finish would be better than gloss (just my opinion)..

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I just did this to the battery tray in my Monte. I was experimenting with rust removal processes and got some odd patterns - so rather than just going with black, I busted out the clear engine enamel. Do it.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I think that it would be really awesome to preserve all of that 'character' with a clear coat application. All of that patina on the roof is just plain awesome. I'm thinking that a satin finish would be better than gloss (just my opinion)..

I was thinking of a semi-gloss/satin myself.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Those rims within the Jegs url are also cool. It's tough to pruchase new rims these days due to the huge selection/availability. the selection process is almost zen like. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Griffin84ss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2017
Corinth Ky
I've never done it but have seen a few car shows do and they always turn out great I think it'll be killer on the wagon. Those rims from jeg's are sweet and they would look awesome on there as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'll be the first guy to say, paint it, at least just the top and do a two tone with that darker blue breaking at the body line. Me personally, I'm out on the patina look, even primer looks better than old rusty. My .02

• Agree

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I do enjoy clearcoated patina. Hopefully, some real painters will chime in. Until then, I offer this note of caution: your car may have lacquer paint from the factory (My 85 does). I have read stories of bad things happening wben laying modern urethane over lacquer. From what I understand, lacquer is "open" (breathes/absorbs) and modern paints are sealed. I don't know how it would work; talk to an experienced painter.

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Idk that's a tough call if I cleared it I think I would go flat like the sun beat it down. However it's such a nice car I would probably have it media blasted epoxy primer it and eventually put a nice bace clear paint job on it

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I do enjoy clearcoated patina. Hopefully, some real painters will chime in. Until then, I offer this note of caution: your car may have lacquer paint from the factory (My 85 does). I have read stories of bad things happening wben laying modern urethane over lacquer. From what I understand, lacquer is "open" (breathes/absorbs) and modern paints are sealed. I don't know how it would work; talk to an experienced painter.
I've had success with booth enamel and urethane on old lacquer were I run into trouble is when the solvents in urethane bite into old enamel edges or old feather edged products. Years ago it was you could put enamel over lacquer but if you put lacquer over enamel your car looked like someone pored stripper on it so he dose have options if it never had paint work he can put an enamel clear on it with flatining agent but I would recommend some spray outs to finds out how much to add for the finish desired

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor