Anyone Ever Sell a Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Has anyone had luck selling a project as in depth as mine?

I have an opportunity to buy a car, one I have been lusting over since a teenager, at a price that is so far below market value I'd be crazy/idiot to pass on it. The wife isn't going for another car purchase(already have one she doesn't know about) so something must leave to finance it. The Malibu would be best, the Road King I would miss more but could duplicate again............ This damn car addiction.

Attachments

• 15553be5f5515b177586d135f4008352.jpg
    15553be5f5515b177586d135f4008352.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 130

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Describe the too-good-to-pass-up deal. How sure are you about the owner's allegations about its features/condition? Remember what they say about too good to be true.

Sell what you need to get rid of before you buy the new sink hole. Reality is a b*tch.

Oh, yeah, deceiving SWMBO is never a good idea.

Best, Gary

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Sold a BB C3 Corvette project about 15 years ago that was ready for paint (already primed/blocked 3 times and jambed) and assembly once because I got burned out on the whole "everything it needed was some multiple of hundred dollar bills" thing. Did OK, made just under a grand on the sale and kept some hard-to-find spares which I sold for my cost to a buddy with a fleet of them, but just a couple years later, it would have been worth about 3 times what I would have been into it for as a completed car.

That said, I think a Malibu is going to be a tough sell, especially if you don't want to lose your tail on it.

To me, it is a GREAT start on a project, but lots of people have differing ideas of direction/destination. Also, it's been my experience that stuff fully disassembled is a tough sell, just from the transportation logistics.

Just my personal opinion here, but I would hate to see the car hacked up as a racecar after all that work to make it a GOOD street car body.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Well, to good to pass up for me would be an air cooled Porsche 911 at about half of current market. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but is a hold over from childhood posters of 911's and Countach's. Owner is honest about the condition, known him for around 17 years, no worries there, no pie in the sky expectations on this one.

I do hate to let the Malibu go as they are getting more rare every day, easier to let the Harley go but I do use it to the tune of 8K miles a year. I did list the Bu on Craigslist just to test waters, lot's of brainstorming to do in the next week.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Someone is going to get a hell of a deal...wish it were me, but I think I have too much stuff already that isn't getting done.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Someone is going to get a hell of a deal...wish it were me, but I think I have too much stuff already that isn't getting done.

You are correct sir, a deal is to be had. I too have too much not getting done. I own a car in another state that the wife doesn't know about.....

Exploring other options at this point. I updated my spreadsheet this morning with a bunch of stuff I hadn't tracked, still in at a good number parts-wise, add in labor this car would be a losing proposition, a labor of love. Somehow all my projects are that way, I wish I bought mainstream stuff some days, broader market for buyers.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Go for the Porsche. I missed out on an aircooled RSR-clone race car 7 years ago and it still chaps my *ss (granted it was a closed bid auction and not an outright sale). At the end of the day it is just a G-body.

Also, don't hide your car stuff from your wife. Or you may end up sleeping in the back of that glorified VW.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Go for the Porsche. I missed out on an aircooled RSR-clone race car 7 years ago and it still chaps my *ss (granted it was a closed bid auction and not an outright sale). At the end of the day it is just a G-body.

Also, don't hide your car stuff from your wife. Or you may end up sleeping in the back of that glorified VW.

Been hiding cars for years lol. At one point I owned 5 cars, she knew about 2. Another time I owned more cars in different states than in the state we lived in. It's an addiction.

That being said this is not one I'd hide and ultimately the Malibu would leave whether it's in kit form or finished, to support this effort. Just received another dozen pics of the car that keep pushing me in the wrong direction, that is, buying another car.

I love G body's, I hate that I have to start over again if this one leaves.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor