anyone familar with PA/NJ DMV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
I'll make this quick. Got a free low mileage car (2001 Buick, 54k miles) from my father in law in NJ. I got a 20 day registration to bring the car home to PA. Ok so I have the NJ title all signed and he wrote gift in the spots the NJ DMV said to, car is under my insurance and printed the ins card, the gift affidavit signed by my father.

PA DMV obviously wants proof that my father in law paid sales tax. They did buy the car new from the PA dealer in 2001, then moved to NJ 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure they have the original bill of sale from the dealership from when it was new, but if not... whats my options? The original dealer is close by me in PA. Would they still have a receipt? Thanks all.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
They should not need this. I bought my firebird out of west va and brought it to pa. I paid tax on my purchase price

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
I bought my 87 and my 73 Cutlasses from Jersey B4 and on one I said was a gift and the other I just told 'em $200.
This time I don't want to get stuck paying TAX on a gift thats KBB worth is like $4000.

I'm all fixed now. The car was originally bought in PA by my father and then they moved there a few years later.

Father called back. They still have the original Bill of Sale from the dealer when they bought it new, so he's mailing that and his signed Gift Affidavit tomorrow. So PA already got their taxes on the car in 2001.

Now to figure out problem 2... In April my family is moving to NJ (ugh) so I have to transfer and tag all 4 cars into NJ....then there's the whole NJ inspection/emission thing that my 87 nor 73 will pass. They run great but the looka like $hit.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Do you daily drive your 73 or 87? If not, get qq plates. (Historic) No inspections then. Just don't do it if you drive it daily, not legal and you can get them revoked.
The only catch is that they must look stock. So... either send pics from before your flame job, or some people send pics of other cars in (not a suggestion, just a statement.)

james@pst

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Montville NJ
RocketGremlin455 said:
I just Now to figure out problem 2... In April my family is moving to NJ (ugh) so I have to transfer and tag all 4 cars into NJ....then there's the whole NJ inspection/emission thing that my 87 nor 73 will pass. They run great but the looka like $hit.

I really don't think that you will have any major issues getting through your 87 or 73 through inspection. The inspection in NJ is just emission related no longer safety. I have two older vehicles that I have registered under normal plates (1966 Rambler/62 Fairlane). What I normally do is adjust the carb lean right before I go to inspection. Run through and then adjust them back.

Just my 2 cents

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Well seeing how both your cars are older then 1996. You may have to find a friend in a shady private inspection shop and simply pay for a sticker if you think it wont pass. What a lot of people dont realize is the state still does safety check cars just not all of them. I have a friend in the inspection station he says they do a full check on every so many cars and will fail it if need be. I drive my cars daily in the summer with qq tags never had issues getting stopped.

james@pst

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Montville NJ
chevy2480 said:
Well seeing how both your cars are older then 1996. You may have to find a friend in a shady private inspection shop and simply pay for a sticker if you think it wont pass. What a lot of people dont realize is the state still does safety check cars just not all of them. I have a friend in the inspection station he says they do a full check on every so many cars and will fail it if need be. I drive my cars daily in the summer with qq tags never had issues getting stopped.

Are you sure on that ? I work at a shop that is certified to do state inspections. We are not allowed to fail a car for any safety issues? That is very interesting if that is the case.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I don't know what your friend told you, but they are not allowed to fail a car for saftey defects, period. If your friend works for parsons and they are failing cars for safety, then that is his problem, and probably their way of making some extra money... however it is illegal.
As for passing inspection, I don't know what your cars have done to them. They do look for ANY emission tampering, it must pass a tailipipe sniffer, the 87 limits are 2.2 and 220 at a 2250 rpm free rev unless the free rev has changed since my last inspection on my car. I took mine somewhere to pass, it actually passed the sniffer, but they looked the other way about all the rest of the stuff on the car. On the same if your car is stock, simply, you should pass. My wagon had regular plates until a few years ago so we could tow with it and it never had a problem passing inspection, but it is 100% stock (AACA recognized Historic Preservation stock).
If you do go the qq route, typically you don't get caught misusing them in the summer. As long as you don't drive it in a snow storm, or tell a cop you're coming home from work if you get pulled over you should be fine... Just be careful, one cop having a bad day and you can lose the privilege for all your cars.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
marcar1993 said:
I don't know what your friend told you, but they are not allowed to fail a car for saftey defects, period. If your friend works for parsons and they are failing cars for safety, then that is his problem, and probably their way of making some extra money... however it is illegal.
As for passing inspection, I don't know what your cars have done to them. They do look for ANY emission tampering, it must pass a tailipipe sniffer, the 87 limits are 2.2 and 220 at a 2250 rpm free rev unless the free rev has changed since my last inspection on my car. I took mine somewhere to pass, it actually passed the sniffer, but they looked the other way about all the rest of the stuff on the car. On the same if your car is stock, simply, you should pass. My wagon had regular plates until a few years ago so we could tow with it and it never had a problem passing inspection, but it is 100% stock (AACA recognized Historic Preservation stock).
If you do go the qq route, typically you don't get caught misusing them in the summer. As long as you don't drive it in a snow storm, or tell a cop you're coming home from work if you get pulled over you should be fine... Just be careful, one cop having a bad day and you can lose the privilege for all your cars.
Well he works at the state inspection station not private and like any other state agency they seem to change the rules as they please. But I have had friends go and fail over stupid stuff in the last 6 months so it must be true.

RocketGremlin455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2012
Galloway NJ
Right now, all 4 of my cars are registered normally as daily drivers. Always had them like that.

The 73.
The original plan was to pull the 455 (which is nowhere near stock) from the 73 to put in the 87. Would like to pull the posi, swivel seats, and the wheels to sell off and then junk the rest. Or maybe sell it whole without motor. The flamed pics are from 6 years ago and it's just spraycan and cheap primer. However the car would never pass any type of inspection....the rad support is rotting, the frame near the wheelwell is cracked again, rear wheel lips are jagged, the vinyl top seam split so the entire roof is black duct tape. Had a flat on my last trip out so it has the bias ply spare on it. Needless to say I put maybe 100 miles on it since last years "inspection" at my friends shop. Go out, blast a few times, maybe pick up a pizza, and come back. The car just sits, but I like to keep it looking legal until I get a chance to pull the motor somewhere and "store it" and make a deal/junk the rest of the car.

The 87.
It's just your daily smogger 3.8. The car itself is straight, but previous owner started multiple areas on the car of sanding and primering so it's blue with black and grey spots all over it. I was gonna just spray bomb the car white or close to the original color blue just to make it look decent. I do have a few pics from google of my exact color/model car in a very clean pose or 2. Inside is clean. Problems with that one are the body bushings are pretty gone in the back and I disposed of the airpump as well as alot of the emission lines and unplugged the TPS, mix solenoid, and idle speed motor. I left the EGR and Converter intact. Wasn't planning on keeping the motor long anyway and it did get me to work and back for the last 18 months 54 miles round trip daily.

I got married and moved into an apartment complex where I get looks for checking my oil, let alone pulling out a motor. I brought my cars with me when I moved here. So everything is on hold..... But now, we're moving to NJ in April. Now in NJ, I do have our parents houses, both with room to do any work and swaps.

So what do I do with an pretty clean 87 with a 455 motor and no emissions in NJ....in order to drive it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor