Anyone familiar with column shifters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in Drivetrain, but I'll give it a shot.

I think there's a spring or an adjustment or something that's messed up in the steering column of my '86 Monte Carlo SC. It takes absolutely no effort to pull the shifter toward you, and it feels really loose when you move it up and down. It's been like this for awhile, and I just brushed it off thinking I'll get bucket seats and a B&M shifter soon.

Well, "soon" is probably going to be a ways away, and I've almost been hit in the rear a few times because of my reverse lights not coming on (hold the shifter up and they work, let go and they go out). Does anyone know much about this type of shifter and how to fix it? Or even better, does anyone have a good idea on how to adapt a floor shifter to work with a split bench seat?

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
lots of people use floor shifters with a bench seat. and pinning the column shifter at the firewall will keep it in basically the park position so you will be able to start your car. there is a spring in the column just under the shifter and it is one of those parts that you will need to go to the junkyard to find. just push out the retainer pin and remove the shift lever, you will see it down in there.

Scimitar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2009
Excellent, I'll probably look into it tomorrow when it's daylight again and see if I need to go junkyard hunting again. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor