Anyone have a factory LM-1 350 A/G-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
I think those factory 350 4bbl A/G-bodies are really cool. I'm guessing over half of them have a built small block now but I'm curious who still has an original 350 LM-1. A lot of enthusiasts don't realize that early on from '78-81 you could still option out the larger 350 motor. Most enthusiasts that aren't really into these cars think the 305 was the top engine.

These were 165-170hp 350's. For their time and for the size of the vehicle, that was good. Still a lot of low end torque. The Corvettes at the time only made 10-15hp more.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
(I can only read your post in Carl's voice, and I have an urge to throw "Fry-man" in here somewhere.)
Speaking of factory 350 cars, have you ever read-up on the Mexican SS? 1984 only I think. 350/4-speed with GP interior, checkered wheels, no duck tail, and I think some might have even had the flat style chrome side views painted black.

Reactions: 1 user

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
(I can only read your post in Carl's voice, and I have an urge to throw "Fry-man" in here somewhere.)
Speaking of factory 350 cars, have you ever read-up on the Mexican SS? 1984 only I think. 350/4-speed with GP interior, checkered wheels, no duck tail, and I think some might have even had the flat style chrome side views painted black.

Haha didn't think anyone else watched Aqua Teen Hunger Force!

I haven't heard of a Mexican SS in 1984 only... Which models were they? I have heard that Mexican cars didn't have the smog restrictions that the American equivalents had so they were higher power. I remember reading the Mexican 350 2bbl was rated at 195hp which was high for the time, especially with a 2bbl carb. An engine builder I talked to suspects they put Targetmaster 350 crate motors in them which were made in Mexico.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Aside from the 84 Mexican mcss, the 350 olds in the 79 hurst, and the 350 diesel cars.......I wasn't aware of a 350 option.

Is it documented anywhere? Not saying I don't believe you......just surprised I haven't heard of it in nearly 25 years of g body ownership.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Dont forget the Mexican SS also had a Dana 44 rearend. Those are rarer than hens teeth!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
According to GM literature, LM1 was not available in 1980 or 81 in the Malibu line, and only available in wagons and Caminos for 78/79, and only with high altitude emissions and not in California.

So, odds of a Malibu with an LM1 are going to be pretty slim, but there might be some Caminos out there.

• Agree

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
According to GM literature, LM1 was not available in 1980 or 81 in the Malibu line, and only available in wagons and Caminos for 78/79, and only with high altitude emissions and not in California.

So, odds of a Malibu with an LM1 are going to be pretty slim, but there might be some Caminos out there.

Right. I think some of the Police Malibus had the LM1 350 though.

• Agree

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
As Ribbedroof has said, the only vehicles that were available to the general public with the 350 sbc were the El Caminos early on, and a few of the wagons. I think that Ben's (Pumpkinator) son found a Cutlass that was a factory 350 sbc car. You could get it in the 9C1 police package, but most of them were fleet vehicles, and only available to police forces. I know that Vanrah (Ole Bob) got his hands on one when it was new, but I think he went through a special ordering process to get that car.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
Aside from the 84 Mexican mcss, the 350 olds in the 79 hurst, and the 350 diesel cars.......I wasn't aware of a 350 option.

Is it documented anywhere? Not saying I don't believe you......just surprised I haven't heard of it in nearly 25 years of g body ownership.

Yup, they definitely did. I used to own a '78 El Camino that originally had the LM-1 350. Like another poster said, it was mostly in El Caminos and Wagons and maybe only til' 1979 not 1981 like I said... So it really was just a transitional thing with the early A/G-bodies. GM didn't completely get rid of the 350 yet and some buyers still wanted the larger motor.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Yup, they definitely did. I used to own a '78 El Camino that originally had the LM-1 350. Like another poster said, it was mostly in El Caminos and Wagons and maybe only til' 1979 not 1981 like I said... So it really was just a transitional thing with the early A/G-bodies. GM didn't completely get rid of the 350 yet and some buyers still wanted the larger motor.
cool. learned something new today.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor