EL CAMINO Anyone have any limited slip diff Info for a total newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortoram

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2021
To preface, I am a total newbie, and I bought a 79 El Camino from my grandfather. The Engine is a 350 small block, 4 Barrel carb, performance cams (whatever that means, I'm assuming my grandfather knows but didn't tell me or forgot), and new headers. It's basically good to drive.

Only thing is I do want to put a limited to slip diff in it. I just want to get some info on what exactly would need to be done. I do want this to be a street car, and all I was told to put in it was a 3.73 gear ratio posi. I know it's not as simple as that and I want to see if anyone can help out.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is another area where 400 different chefs will give you 400 different recipes. A 350 Chevy is a good engine for your Camino, but you didn't say which transmission you have. Assuming it may be a TH350, I don't know, but doubt there's any overdrive. Without an OD transmission, I'd suggest you go with a 3.23 or 3.42 if you're going to just drive on the street/highway. If you had an OD transmission, then 3.73 would be a very good all around gear and still provide some umph on the bottom end.

What rear does it have in it now? Assuming it's stock, GM loved putting 2.73 and 2.92 into those late A-bodies.

If'n I were you, I'd do some research on what it takes to actually replace a rear end. It's much more than just swapping some parts. That's easy. The hard part is setting the pinion depth and backlash properly. Do it wrong and your gears will not have a long life. Plus, you may hear them singing to you rolling down the road. Rear gears should shut up and be quiet.

Check out some youtube videos and watch and learn. I'm not talking about the 2 minute videos for those short on attention spans. I'm talking the long ones, that show you step by step what needs doing.

If you have the time, this one I feel is an excellent video taught by a tech school instructor. I keep getting a "this video is unavailable" message when I post it here, but go to youtube and check it. There's many more there too. Go to youtube and copy/paste this into the search bar if the video below doesn't work- AsiRYnWcCQg

Reactions: 2 users

Mortoram

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2021
This is another area where 400 different chefs will give you 400 different recipes. A 350 Chevy is a good engine for your Camino, but you didn't say which transmission you have. Assuming it may be a TH350, I don't know, but doubt there's any overdrive. Without an OD transmission, I'd suggest you go with a 3.23 or 3.42 if you're going to just drive on the street/highway. If you had an OD transmission, then 3.73 would be a very good all around gear and still provide some umph on the bottom end.

What rear does it have in it now? Assuming it's stock, GM loved putting 2.73 and 2.92 into those late A-bodies.

If'n I were you, I'd do some research on what it takes to actually replace a rear end. It's much more than just swapping some parts. That's easy. The hard part is setting the pinion depth and backlash properly. Do it wrong and your gears will not have a long life. Plus, you may hear them singing to you rolling down the road. Rear gears should shut up and be quiet.

Check out some youtube videos and watch and learn. I'm not talking about the 2 minute videos for those short on attention spans. I'm talking the long ones, that show you step by step what needs doing.

If you have the time, this one I feel is an excellent video taught by a tech school instructor. I keep getting a "this video is unavailable" message when I post it here, but go to youtube and check it. There's many more there too. Go to youtube and copy/paste this into the search bar if the video below doesn't work- AsiRYnWcCQg

The 350 (No over) is what's in it and you'd be right about it being stock, and thanks for all the help!

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
To preface, I am a total newbie, and I bought a 79 El Camino from my grandfather. The Engine is a 350 small block, 4 Barrel carb, performance cams (whatever that means, I'm assuming my grandfather knows but didn't tell me or forgot), and new headers. It's basically good to drive.

Only thing is I do want to put a limited to slip diff in it. I just want to get some info on what exactly would need to be done. I do want this to be a street car, and all I was told to put in it was a 3.73 gear ratio posi. I know it's not as simple as that and I want to see if anyone can help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor