Anyone here use MegaSquirt ECU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I get off work late, usually after the kids go to bed, so I scrounge around the day's posts here, then surf the net. I have been reading on a web page/facebook page called Sloppy Mechanics. These guys build LS engines with cheap turbos for big power, usually not even tearing the junkyard engine apart. Pretty cool, but I don't think I'm that brave!

One of the products a lot of them use is MegaSquirt ECU. There are many versions, but the basic ECU manages any type of fuel injection for any type of engine. You can run NA, supercharger, turbo, anything.

I do have an old 4 bolt main 350 sitting on a stand torn apart. I was thinking of slapping it in possibly this winter, with a decent set of heads. It would be fun to try my hand at fuel injection. One example I see on their web page is building a system using a 90's truck TBI.

Eventually I'd like to switch to an LS and a manual. We shall see, that's potentially a steep investment, depending on how sloppy I'd get.

Anyway, the question is, does anyone here have experience with MegaSquirt? It's a lot cheaper than Holley EFI, though you do have to program the unit yourself.

Just curious!

https://www.diyautotune.com/shop/meg...irt-assembled/

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I've done a bunch of research into myself so far. I plan to run the ms3 gold box when it becomes neccesary for my build. 5.3L th400 with a s475. From what I see they are one of the best setups you can get for a stand alone and diy tuning. Its on my go fast parts list lol.

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I've done a bunch of research into myself so far. I plan to run the ms3 gold box when it becomes neccesary for my build. 5.3L th400 with a s475. From what I see they are one of the best setups you can get for a stand alone and diy tuning. Its on my go fast parts list lol.
Nice! Do you already have the 5.3?

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
yep. My build is on this lsx swap thread. Check it out. I just got it fired up a few weeks ago. Waiting on a shifter and some exhaust to come in to put on it now lol

Ardilaracing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2016
Hey Judge!

I´m from Bogota- Colombia! Im working in my 79´MC and I started this project installing Megasquirt EFI for the base engine 200 CID 3.3 liter V6. Please see this link in youtube of my car working with Megasquirt Efi. Here in Colombia people use Megasquirt or Haltech. Holley can be a good option and I think is easier to run because it has autoprogramming.

Hope you enjoy!

• Disagree
Reactions: 1 users

MoarPower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
I watched those Sloppy Mechanic vids as well. I always heard of megasquirt in the import world but not so much the american world. IIRC, he ended up taking out the megasquirt because he was having issues with it and went to a stock GM ecu and tuned it himslef

Reactions: 1 user

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
I watched those Sloppy Mechanic vids as well. I always heard of megasquirt in the import world but not so much the american world. IIRC, he ended up taking out the megasquirt because he was having issues with it and went to a stock GM ecu and tuned it himslef

I've watched the old videos, basically an introduction to the system.. They are about 5 years old now I think? I was hoping for straight up "how to" videos, but they are basically overview. It's good stuff, but I'm and idiot and need my info spoon fed :)

MoarPower

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2016
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've watched the old videos, basically an introduction to the system.. They are about 5 years old now I think? I was hoping for straight up "how to" videos, but they are basically overview. It's good stuff, but I'm and idiot and need my info spoon fed :)
lol yeah you're right they are pretty old. Im no expert on megasquirt so i wont be any help on that. I like holley efi tho. super user friendly and you can get alot out of it too. Im an idiot too lol i had to take a class

Judge Mills

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2014
Washington State
lol yeah you're right they are pretty old. Im no expert on megasquirt so i wont be any help on that. I like holley efi tho. super user friendly and you can get alot out of it too. Im an idiot too lol i had to take a class

I'm quite a ways away from building a new engine, so I haven't decided 350 sbc or LS. Plenty of time to research! Holley is not cheap, however I wouldn't have to source all those other parts that may be missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor