Anyone here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013

Carl Turner didn't want to have just another muscle car like everybody else, and, with a '78 Malibu wagon, he definitely doesn't. "I wanted something different," he said. "You don't see too many of these things around anymore. I first saw it sitting in a field. A guy was going to make a drag car out of it, but he had his own repair shop and always had so much going on with that that he never got around to it, so I talked him out of it."

Turner eventually traded the sleeper wagon for a Jeep – "kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing," he called it – but when the opportunity arose to get it back, he wasn't about to let it slip through his fingers a second time. When he reacquired it, the engine was blown up – "a rod was hanging out of the pan," he said – but that mattered little because he had an LS swap in mind anyway.

After installing a 5.3 LS engine, Turner threw the Holley catalog at it and the rest of the car. By the time he was done, the little truck engine was putting out 266 horsepower to the wheels on the Holley dyno. He took it out to Beech Bend Raceway Park and knocked out a couple of 14.60s at just short of 100 mph on a Tuesday night test 'n' tune.

Turner, 40, built the engine using a single-plane Holley EFI intake manifold with a 1000 CFM throttle body (just the air valve) and multi-port injection. "I really don't tune it that much," he says. "I don't need to – I have a Dominator ECU running everything, so I basically leave it alone. The air/fuel [ratio] always looks good, and it really doesn't ever need anything. I put a base tune in it and made some minor timing tweaks, but I hardly ever even hook a laptop to it. I just drive it." Turner also runs a Holley 7-inch digital dash, Holley water pump, Frostbite radiator, Holley's complete low-mount LS accessory drive, G-Body engine-swap mounts and transmission cross member, and a complete three-inch stainless LS swap BlackHeart exhaust.

When he's not cruising winding back roads of Western Kentucky in the Malibu, Turner is working in the Hooker BlackHeart division as an exhaust design tech. He brings a wealth of practical experience gained from running his own repair shop in his home state of Georgia, where he did extensive custom exhaust work. "It's nice to be proud of the company you work for," he said. "I have to say it's probably the best job I've ever had. When I go back to Georgia and see old friends, it's always cool to say I work at Holley."

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cool write up. Thanks for posting that. Sounds like he has a dream job...lucky him.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
i think he is on this board. i read his complete write up of holley's introduction of their LS parts for g-bodies. fantastic info.
joe

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the member i was thinking of is toddoky. might be one and the same.
joe

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Came in an email from Holley; I have no idea how I got on that list....
However you received it, it's cool that you shared it with us. Now, if we can hear from the man himself about what he's up to and the progress he's making, etc....that would be nice.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor