Anyone just keeping it stock to cruise around anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
The more I read on the internet the more I notice that trends are the increase the handling and power and go as fast as possible. Anyone else just like to keep the cars the way they where and cruse around with no real place to go? I have an Monte Carlo LS and the 4.3 is plenty powerful to just cruse around in. With the fuel injection the gas mileage is acceptable, even better than my daily driver truck. Car rides differently than any modern car. It has one finger steering. No screens to deal with. I can fix it without expensive brand specific tools (still use it as an excuse to buy more tools ;)).

I have nothing against improving a car's power etc. Just seems to be the minority leaving things as they where. Anyone else just running theirs with no plans to change it other than to maintain it?

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
A 4.3L fuel injected v6 with a 4sp is quite different from the carbureted 3.8l with a 3sp I just pulled and gave away. I changed the rear gear from 2.41 to 3.55 and drove it for a few weeks before pulling the engine, and the car woke up nicely, but it was still a 3 speed and would redline at 80mph. I'm coming along with my 300hp LS1 swap, and if I hadn't wanted the experience of actually swapping an engine, I believe either of the v6 with a 2004R would be satisfactory to tool around in, so long as the rear gear was 3.43+. I like not having screens and buttons and stuff like that too, but I wasn't satisfied that my minivan was the most powerful vehicle I ever owned with it's 260hp... there's just so much potential with the g-body aftermarket. Hard to say no to better brakes, more power, less squish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Of course -

IMG_5963.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
If that's my purpose for the car than yeah stock is cool enough for me throw some rims on during the summer and it's great no 6 second time slips when your cruising the local venues bumper to bumper, thumbs up and "nice ride" come no matter stock or not

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just as one example, I've got 3 1983 regal coupes, all have 3.8/th200c/2.41s

Does that count?

Reactions: 1 user

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
Glad to see I am not the only one on here also working on an older car. Have a 41 Chevy as a father son project. We did all the body and paint work. Original drivetrain too.

41garage.PNG

Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
"Stock sucks" - D. Kindig
"Your brother sucks, your mother sucks, your father sucks...your sister...she'd have sucked too, but I didn't have 5 bucks" - 69hurstolds, author, NY Times best seller: Stock Does Not Suck

:banana:

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor