Anyone know about Yamaha atv's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
So being the nice guy I am, I offered to help a friend get his Yamaha Warrior up and running. Hadn't been used in almost 8 years. Carb was nasty like you'd expect. Cleaned it, still wasn't right, ordered a carb kit, put it in, new NGK iridium spark plug, ran like a top. When sitting still. He got it home and finished installing all of the plastics and took it for a ride, it breaks up horribly under load over a certain rpm. Sounds ignition related. Stators at common failures. Just tossed one on. No dice, runs exactly the same. I'm out of ideas. Would any of you guys be able to point me in the right direction?

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I don’t have Yamaha experience, but I’ve been wrenching on carbureted atvs for a long time. Most of the big name oems used mikuni slide carburetors. They work under the same concepts as our car carbs, but execute it in a totally different way. A jet may be plugged or the slide sticking. Also, CDI boxes are a common failure to look at too. Either one could give the condition you state, and those are where I would start.

I’ve got a really good book on slide carb tubing. I’ll dig it out and see if there’s anything that could help.

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm definitely not an expert, but it sounds ignition related, not fuel. Almost like a rev limiter, or coil breaking up, etc. But not at full speed. Maybe 2000-2500 rpm. and yet is fine not under load.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Since you’ve got a new plug, check the wire to make sure it’s ok. I had a wire go bad one time and I couldn’t run high rpm at all. Had a CDI box fail once and I couldn’t give more than half throttle or so under load.

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
subscribed. Friends kid has a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 with a Suzuki Motor. Idles fine, dies under load unless you are really careful with the throttle. It runs like a scaled cat once it clears up under WOT. New carb, plug, wires, fuel...... Its had me baffled for over a year now

Reactions: 1 user

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
I would say the CDI box also, from my experience they dont like sitting.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Well I figured one issue out. It had a parking brake which he removed. There was a parking brake switch included in that. Tied those wires together, now it will stay running in reverse....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor