anyone know how to clean up a stock 305

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
sorry guys i had to get your attention..i have a bone stock 305 in a 87 cutlass and im not planning on slapping in a 350 for another yr or so. i did a complete tune up on it and im wondering if anyone has advice on what i can do to get a lil more out of this motor without dumping any cash into it. are there any vaccum lines that suck potential power from the motor or has anyone had luck with anything like disconnecting the egr valve? im basically wondering what i can remove or disconnect that isnt really necessary. aside from my AC, the cars black so ill never disconnect that!! in the past ive had 305's that my mechanic buddy helped hack an slash a bunch of the vaccum diaphrams or booster or whatever they're called out but i dont really remember how much of a difference it made, or what exactly he did cuz it was back when i was a teen. any advice would be appreciated!!

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.
Re: my wife naked on the cutlass...

My advise would be to change the title, you might actually get help that way.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011

too late for that now, or atleast i dont see how to do it. anyhow lighten up its just a joke...

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.

Some people can take a joke and some can't, I'm pretty sure you will be hearing from the ones that can't soon. I was offering up a suggestion on how to get an answer to your problem. :rofl:

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011

any idea how to change it? now you made me feel like an idiot. so thanx for that :rofl: :blam:

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
done. :oops:

Blueboy84

Greasemonkey
Sep 25, 2010
Northern Kentucky
Best way to free up some ponies with the stock 305 would be things like headers, exhaust, K&N filter, etc. That and a good tuneup / carb rebuid. Not going to gain much by removing/redirecting hosing and such. Those things would work with your 350 when the time comes too.

I suppose you could remove the smog pump and belt and free a couple HP up, but that's all that really comes to mind.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Intake and exhaust are the two best things you can do, both will swap over to a 350. If you want to open up the engine a mild cam would help too.

cutlassguy

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2011
i have duel exhaust but thats about it. where is the smog pump? never heard of that before. im not going to bother putting a cam or anything into this motor, it runs pretty good and still has a bit of jam so ill just drive it until im ready for the swap. iwas just hoping someone could tell me a few tricks like hook up my vacumm advance directly to the manifold, or get rid of this or that so something else gets more power...something along those lines lol

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Best way to clean up a 305 is to dump it in a lake! :lol:

J/k! Sorry I couldn't resist!

If you have an engine swap planned within a year I'd just keep the engine in stock running condition until then. Yes, bolt-ons will interchange but why do the work twice ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor