GRAND PRIX Anyone know what this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
200-R4 - in line with the speedo cable.

Can't seem to get a good pic of the numbers while its on the ground. Next time its on the lift, I can get better pics, but I figured someone here would know.

Thanks.

-Gonz

Attachments

• Dunno.jpg
    Dunno.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 207

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's a speedo correction box,you usually see it on trucks with giant tires to correct the speedometer etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Thanks! Weird. Not sure why it would be there. According to the window sticker and build sheet, everything on it is stock.

-Gonz

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I think it is just a coupler as it does not appear to be large enough to be a reducer. A way to shorten the speed cable and allow the option of cruise control or not. These years of G Bodys had an issue with speedometer needle bounce

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a ratio box on my Monte and though it looks similar the cables are offset and the box is larger to accommodate the gears.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's needed to correct the speedometer. There's some numbers stamped in it that show part number and the reduction ratio. Some rear end and transmission combinations came that way from the factory. Sometimes when people change gears/tires they may need one as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor