Anyone looking for a nice rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
I'm always looking for a nice rear. The trick is to train your wife to point them out for you ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Wish i had a 8.5 in my malibu just to keep it more original lQQking, for im certainly not into monster HP, im too much on the conservative side of life... im a cruiser, not a bruiser.

Reactions: 1 users

Cauterize

Floater of Valves
Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2019
Deathbridge
it is wild what the 8.5's are bringing.
Supply and Demand.
Once people realize how good of an upgrade the 8.5's were its supply dried up fast. Not a lot of GN's T-Types and 442's getting smacked up and parted out anymore. Hell even the Fox body 8.8's have started to dry up in my area. and people ask upwards of 1K+ for a roached unit.

All that said, even with a steal of a deal on my SN95 8.8 it's going to be about the same as a clapped out 8.5 if not more once I figure out my axle/wheel situation.
Bet you *ss if I were to find a decent local-ish 8.5 I would put that in a heartbeat and sell all the 8.8 stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just moved my post to this thread.
Around here $1.500 was about the average price for a used 8.5" Gbody rear, I instead shopped around for deals and have about $2.400 including shipping into my new complete QP 9" with 1/4" tubes, dual drilled 31 spline axles. Trutrac with 3.25 gears and I went with new 11" drums and also welded on a rear brace.
It should be plenty for my 355 SBC while still trying to keep it on a budget.
20220913_200625.jpg
IMG_20220129_110522744.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
But earlier you said time is money, so one place it is, and the other it isn't? Hmmm
I think there's a big difference in time, between rebuilding a rear and painting one. The powder coating is a big $ extra, it comes painted, powder coating is a big ad on. Figured I'd post it up to perhaps help anyone looking, sorry it has to come to picking everything apart I seem to post up on this forum anymore, kinda takes the enjoyment out of helping others.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't feel 8.5 prices are really up all that much. It's just a case where you see a lot less of the uneducated sellers.

In the early to mid 2000s we would get about 1100 for the average 8.5, but, a bit more maybe 1300 if it was a really clean housing and not pitted for a posi, or, had someone just gone through brakes or something.

Non-posi we'd sell the aluminum drums for $150 seperate then the axle for about 700-850.

That would've been over maybe 150 or so gns types and 442s. Only ever had 3 Hurst Olds though. Cover say... 1997 though about 2010 when I scaled back.

Now, those were going through turbobuick.com back in the Mike licht/Bruce toelle days, and when the gnttype.org mailing list was still a big deal so you get an idea of who was buying them for the most part

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I think there's a big difference in time, between rebuilding a rear and painting one. The powder coating is a big $ extra, it comes painted, powder coating is a big ad on. Figured I'd post it up to perhaps help anyone looking, sorry it has to come to picking everything apart I seem to post up on this forum anymore, kinda takes the enjoyment out of helping others.
Got to love people.. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with your post.

It's kind of the difference between buying a rusty clapped out gbody for $800 and building it with lots of repair time, but no cash, versus buying a 12k gbody that's rust free with nice interior for your build.

Depending on your skills, time, etc, both get you there. If you value it all out, eventually you will get all the way there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I don't see anything wrong with your post.

It's kind of the difference between buying a rusty clapped out gbody for $800 and building it with lots of repair time, but no cash, versus buying a 12k gbody that's rust free with nice interior for your build.

Depending on your skills, time, etc, both get you there. If you value it all out, eventually you will get all the way there.
Thanks friend 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor