Anyone notice r134a lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So, our fearless leaders/clueless overlords mandated an end to using r134a in new MY vehicles.

But between pandemic, inflation, materials supply issues, all of the above I've noticed both that r134a is getting more expensive sive, and, hard to find in a lot of retail outlets...

Anyone else noticing the same thing????

So, as you may know, I've been putting off addressing the slow leak in The King since I bought the truck because, hey, harbor freight and Walmart have $3/can r134 right?

Looks like no more. HF was around $13 a pop. Most parts stores are $8-10.

So, I found a loophole today and took full advantage.

20220411_190434.jpg

That's 8 feet worth of 12oz cans, or, if you'd like the math your choice of 192 individual cans, 2,304 Oz, or, 144 LBs of refrigerant.

Net cost to me was $2.54/can or $3.39/LB. USD.

I may still find and fix the pesky leak, and have a stockpile for all the other vehicles, but, even if I choose not to we will be OK for quite a while at an average of 2 can per month when temps are above the 80s.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Walmart has *mostly* raised prices to 8.88/can. Some stores are still 4.88/can because they just havent raised their price yet. Same item, same sku, same whatever.

One walmart in South Carolina had a manager/store closeout on the old fat can instead of the new more rounded style. So it was already a clearance price below the $4.88

Then, I used an online ordering *shop* thing where you log into the bank card account, and it redirects you to the vendor and you get whatever percentage rebate credit to your card after purchase they offer at the time.

Then I got reward points on top that I'll credit to the bill when the month posts.

Then the bank had another incentive where I got another credit for making enough online purchases this month, so, I placed it as 5 smaller orders instead of one big one.

The net result was I bought everything that walmart location said it had on closeout, and by the time I deduct all those rewards and credits I'll be set for a while now, hoarding/prepper style.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Walmart has *mostly* raised prices to 8.88/can. Some stores are still 4.88/can because they just havent raised their price yet. Same item, same sku, same whatever.

One walmart in South Carolina had a manager/store closeout on the old fat can instead of the new more rounded style. So it was already a clearance price below the $4.88

Then, I used an online ordering *shop* thing where you log into the bank card account, and it redirects you to the vendor and you get whatever percentage rebate credit to your card after purchase they offer at the time.

Then I got reward points on top that I'll credit to the bill when the month posts.

Then the bank had another incentive where I got another credit for making enough online purchases this month, so, I placed it as 5 smaller orders instead of one big one.

The net result was I bought everything that walmart location said it had on closeout, and by the time I deduct all those rewards and credits I'll be set for a while now, hoarding/prepper style.

A couple years ago O Reilly's was clearancing out the old one and done cans so I cleaned out the local stores that had it. I only got like 18 cans, still a decent haul but I 100% would have bought 100+ if they had them.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Just wait for 1234yf.
I've already seen prices.... I'll stick with 134a vehicles and maybe add to my hoarding. You'd think 'progress' could once in a while DECREASE costs wouldn't you?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor