Anyone running American Racing Headers exhaust (ARH)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
Anyone running American Racing Headers stuff? I noticed they have some stepped 1 7/8" to 2" headers with 3.5" collectors for a SBC in a G-body. It claims they will work with straight or angle plug heads, with or without AC and manual or automatic transmissions. The price is steep at $2300, but I haven't been finding many options in the larger sizes. I'm looking for something 1 7/8" or 2" with 3.5" collectors. Has anyone run these, or know of some cheaper alternatives that would work on a 78 Buick Regal with a SBC, air conditioning, and 4L80 transmission?

Thanks!

Chad

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Anyone running American Racing Headers stuff? I noticed they have some stepped 1 7/8" to 2" headers with 3.5" collectors for a SBC in a G-body. It claims they will work with straight or angle plug heads, with or without AC and manual or automatic transmissions. The price is steep at $2300, but I haven't been finding many options in the larger sizes. I'm looking for something 1 7/8" or 2" with 3.5" collectors. Has anyone run these, or know of some cheaper alternatives that would work on a 78 Buick Regal with a SBC, air conditioning, and 4L80 transmission?

Thanks!

Chad
Those are pretty big tubes for a small block. You must have some serious HP 😲

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I wanted to, but couldn't justify the cost....

And that's saying something, because I talk myself into plenty of ridiculous high dollar purchases for my build

Reactions: 1 user

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
Those are pretty big tubes for a small block. You must have some serious HP 😲
The old setup in an F-body made 740rwhp with a mild cam, 3" single exhaust after the y pipe, and 14lbs of boost on a F1 Procharger. I'm changing things up a little with a larger cam, larger exhaust, more rpms, and 20lbs+ with a F1A-94 Procharger. The G-body has way more room under the hood. heh..

Thanks!

Chad

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
I wanted to, but couldn't justify the cost....

And that's saying something, because I talk myself into plenty of ridiculous high dollar purchases for my build
I'm in the same boat...I want the larger stuff, but I'm not seeing much advertised for my setup. Does anyone know if 4th gen LT1 F-body headers fit a G-body? I have a set sitting in storage that I could try mocking up. I'm already ordering new pistons to lower the compression a little. I'm thinking about asking if I can have the valve reliefs cut to clear 18 and 23 degree heads. If I have to pay crazy custom exhaust prices then I might as well have them made for 18 degree heads. I'd prefer to use what I already have though.

Thanks!

Chad

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Everyone in the Olds V8 world claims they are fabulous headers. The owner is an Olds guy himself and has a 900 HP NA Olds V8 with Billet heads. I just looked at the price, they certainly have gone up😱. Personally, I would not pay nearly $3000 Canadian maybe 10 HP/TQ over the Chinese headers, which are surprisingly well made.

Reactions: 1 user

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
I've got full ARH exhaust, 1 7/8" header primaries into 3" collectors, and 3" stainless straight dual with their hi flow cats as well. I went from the original X pipe they made (which I didn't like the sound on; over to an H pipe which did sound much better, but when I opted to put cats in to clean up that idle richness smell I went back to straight dual which is what I had for 20+ yrs with Flowmaster 40's and 2.5" aluminized pipe.

ARH is local to me, like literally down the road so they had my car in the shop for almost a week but this was before they had any off the shelf systems for G Body's so mine is actually a one off custom. It was done back in 2015 and has held up great. Now they have a full packaged pre-built system you can order. Nick, Louis and Jose are some the nicest guys around and though I'd had some initial issues with my build/install they quickly rectified them and been happy ever since.

It's very mellow sounding at idle and cruising with the three chamber offset mufflers, but it get's loud when it needs to... LOL

This was the initial with X pipe just behind trans x-member...
1659138867766.jpeg

I had a trans leak for awhile on the right side that mucked up that pipe, but this was the H pipe I took out and have saved after I went to the hi flow cats, and straight dual again which sounds the best of all imho.

1659138556077.jpeg

They supplied and made me the hi flow cats to drop right in where the H pipe was removed about 2 yrs ago...
1659138583800.jpeg

1659138691480.jpeg

1659138713344.jpeg

1659138734736.jpeg

1659138783583.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

chadtn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2008
It sure looks like some nice stuff. I was really hoping someone would know of some cheap knock offs in that size that I could throw on there. Laying out that kind of cash would marry me to the 23 degree heads I have now. I'd kind of like to see what I can get out of the new setup with some rusty rattle canned headers before spending big bucks on exhaust. If it scares the bejesus out of me I can double down with the expensive good looking stuff. heh.. If I decide it isn't enough power I could probably spend nearly the same amount of money on custom headers for an 18 degree head upgrade.

Thanks!

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor