Anyone running Braided Hose for Trans Cooler Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I hate hard line on automatic transmissions. I haven't been able to remove a set yet without damaging the lines or the radiator.

Before I go and install another set of hardlines, I was wondering if anyone is running braided hose? I like the idea of AN fittings for easy removal, and flexible line for cleaner routing.

Jegs seems to offer a universal type kit, but other than that I haven't found any.

Tips? Comments? Suggestions? All welcome.

I like mine. I got the AN fittings into the trans case. Then my cooler is an external which has push on fitting. I just put a good clamp on it. It was easy. I didn't buy a kit. I figured out the fittings needed and the length of line and it ended up being cheaper to build it myself.

Yea I might do something similar to that. Should be easy enough to figure out the threads in a TH400. What are you using for the actual hose?

Are the push to connect hoses similar to the Jegs "Push-Lok" fittings, or are they more like a compressor hose push-to-connect fitting?

I use 8AN braided lines for my trans to my external cooler and B & M fluid consistency system, I would just figure out what you need as far as fittings and line length and order it separate I have not seen the Jegs kit but most universal plumbing kits include items that you will not use but pay for anyways, there are so many variables it has to cover.

OOps, I thought I included the link.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+ ... 6/10002/-1

I pieced together my balance line with assembled hoses for Oil. Someone else pieced the items and assembled themselves. There is also a bit of a "shipping to Canada" factor in this, but my assembled stuff was about $40 more expensive.

The reason I brought up the Jeg's kit is I figure I would be up to that amount if I purchased the fittings myself. Looks like I would use each of them.

565chevy, I was hoping you would chime in. I figured if there was anyone running this, it would be you.

Also;

How do you like the TFC system? Seems like a great idea. I am not sure if summit still sells it. They don't list a price.

im using -6 an lines for my trans to just a cooler. bought the fittings and made the lines. nice and cheap and the perfect length

online170 said:
Also;

How do you like the TFC system? Seems like a great idea. I am not sure if summit still sells it. They don't list a price.

It works great, keeps my trans fluid temps cool especially with a 4000 convertor on the street, I bought mine directly from B & M and got a better price.
Holding an extra 4 quarts of fluid in a giant heat sink really work. I like that it also gives me a remote fill location and has a drain plug.
I found a good spot for mine but the size may be an issue depending on the car.

I'm suprised to hear so many using braided steel hose instead of hard steel lines. IMO the factory pre-bent steel transmission lines are the best thing to use, unless one likes the look of shiney braided hoses and AN fittings ( which personally I hate ). Not sure how anyone could ever have problems removing factory lines from the radiator unless they're rusted to crap in which case you can just buy a set of new pre-bent ones and never look back.

As far as transmission coolers go, with the fittings and hose the give you in the kits ( which are very inexpensive ), you can hook up a cooler with nothing more than removing one transmission line from the radiator, not have to cut or butcher any of your steel lines, and end up with a nice simple, very clean install/setup. AN connectors and braided hose to me just seems like nothing more than bling. That is not meant as an insult for those running braided hose. I just feel in most situations that they're simply unnecessary and have no clear advantage over steel lines.

<---- Race car..... Need to run more fluid and bigger cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor