1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone still make a Class III Hitch for these?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero' started by el corvino, Oct 22, 2016.

1. el corvino

el corvino Greasemonkey

If not, wondering if the chevy C & K frames in the rear were the same as far as bolt patterns. If so, I could just use one of those hitches on the G-Body frame.

2. SoFloG

SoFloG Master Mechanic

Reese 44637 looks like the only class 3 like a universal multi vehicle fit. But there are plenty of class 2 1.25" receivers. What are you trying to tow with a gbody that a smaller hitch won't handle?

• Like Like x 1
  3. el corvino

el corvino Greasemonkey

Nothing at all... maybe move my empty trailer with the Cutlass or Elco... mostly wanted it for gas tank protection. Looks like they made one back in the day. No idea the model number of this or any other info on it... [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. el corvino

el corvino Greasemonkey

Also, found this gem....
    Heavy towing (class 3 hitch):
    An El Camino equipped with a 5.0L (LG4) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.73 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 5000 pounds with 600 pounds tongue load.

• Like Like x 1
  5. el corvino

el corvino Greasemonkey

Here are the ones from back in the day....
    [​IMG]

I actually already have a class IV hitch for the G-Body by Valley Industries. Just wondering if anyone else made them

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Rocket Powered Basset Hound

I have a small hidden hitch class II that I have used to pull a small trailer and even one of the pop up tent trailers with it and it ties the two rails together. The gas tank is up high enough in these cars so the rear bumper protects the gas tank. The Jeep that had fixed the gas tank exposure with a hitch ride higher and the problem was vehicle would go under the bumper and hit the tank. When I installed my hitch I upgraded the bolts that are used for the hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-1984_Chevrolet_Monte+Carlo.htm

• Like Like x 1
  7. el corvino

el corvino Greasemonkey

Just on the property - not on the roads. Also, would be nice for say my elco that no longer has a rear bumper... Rather a roll pan that the exhaust exits through.

8. Collector

Collector Not-quite-so-new-guy

What are the odds, in the Netherlands getting a hitch is nearly impossible, can buy it from the USA, but price is getting ridiculous.
    Local selling site said "trailer hitch 1978 el camino, free to collect for the first one who responds to my add"
    So a fast message to the owner and i am the lucky owner of a trailer hitch for my 1979 Monte carlo.
    and on top off my luck is El Covino who places the exact building sheet for my hitch, exactly that hitch !
    What are the odds ?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Longroof79

Longroof79 Geezer

You're a lucky man....you can't beat the price of that hitch. ;)
    plus finding the installation instructions right here on this site....that makes you doubly lucky.:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Clutch

Clutch Royal Smart Person

That's what I want