Anyone Use CB Performance Programmable Distributor Black Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcookpac

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2012
HI all (it has been awhile since I last posted):

I saw a product called the 2013 CB Performance Black Box Programmable Timing Control Module. See https://www.cbperformance.com/CB-s-Black-Box-Programmable-Timing-Control-Module-p/2013.htm

I am interested if anyone has used this programmable timing controller for those running carbs without computer/ecm control.

The product has the following features (according to their website):

The Black Box Programmable Timing Control Module connects directly to your distributor and existing coil offering a fully programmable 21x21 spark table, good up to 10,000 rpm. The Black Box incorporates a 5 Bar MAP Sensor, allowing boosted timing control over 40 psi. The Black Box also has an internal low and high end rev limiter. Housed in an attractive billet aluminum housing, the Black Box looks as good as it functions. The Black Box is incredibly small for its performance output, measuring only 3 5/16" L x 2 3/16" wide. The Black Box will connect to ignition points, aftermarket ignition modules such as Compu-fire and Pertronix, MSD distributors, CB Performance Magnaspark 2 Ready-to-run and Magnetic Trigger distributors. Most aftermarket ignition boxes can also be used such as MSD 6A, 6AL, 7AL, Summit and Mallory.

**Will not work with a Compu-Fire DIS-IX or Pertronix Ignitor 3**
**Resistor Spark Plugs are highly recommended**

The Black Box uses an internal coil driver that will support up to 8 cylinders. V8 ignitions using old school distributors can now be affordable converted into modern high powered programmable ignitions at a fraction of the cost. Need fuel economy? The Black Box will allow up to 45 degrees of ignition advance. CB has seen as high as 20% improved fuel economy when the Black Box was installed and properly tuned.

**Distributor must be locked out with no internal advance.**

See the Black Box Ignition Control Module Timing Graph, comparing the Black Box with a Regular Bosch 009.

Black Box Software Download

- Improved Idle Quality
- Improved Drive-ability
- Improved Performance

===============================================================================================
My question for them is: "Can i pair the blackbox with a MAP sensor and affect ignition timing based on load?"

I look forward to hearing all your thoughts on this product.

PS I know that this product is commonly used on air cooled VWs (but this is supposed to be a pretty much universal ignition advance/timing controller).

CB_Performance_black_box.jpg

CB_Performance_ignition_timing_graph.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor