Anyone using a (re-sized) V6 driveshaft with a big block engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Of course I'm going to need to get a different length driveshaft for my drivetrain swap. My car was a 231 V6, and I'm installing a big block 454 (with 4L80E). Having my stock driveshaft shortened and balanced is easy to do... but would that be wise? Can that size/strength of shaft stand up to 500+ lb ft of torque? I'm thinking not.

If anyone out there has swapped in a big block V8 and kept their (modified) V6 driveshaft, I'd love to hear about your experience (good or bad). Please speak up.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't waste time spending money on a stock driveshaft, a custom made one can be designed from the start to handle the power level you desire.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I agree with 565bbchevy, if you're already replacing the engine and transmission you might as well get a driveshaft made specifically for your application. I'm sure a stock one would hold for a while but it'd be a good idea to eliminate any weak links that you can.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Also make sure you have at least a front driveshaft loop, I installed both front and rear on mine the rear one I made so it unbolts easily to get the driveshaft out.

• Agree

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I had my dad cut, shorten and re-weld a driveshaft for me on an 83 Monte Carlo once. He didn't have any special tools and no way to balance it. He told me that he wasn't sure if it would even work without vibrating at speed and to take it easy on it. Well I was about 21 or so at the time and I had faith that dad could fix it if anybody could. Lol. Plus, my friend and I really wanted to get the car back on the road.
We put the driveshaft in and my friend and I decided that if it was gonna break, we should find out as soon as we could so we wouldn't have very far to walk. Lol. As soon as I got on the road I floored it and it actually stayed together. We were pretty happy so we took it up to about 100mph just to make sure there weren't any vibrations. It never had a problem. We used that driveshaft for a while. We also only had about half the torque and horsepower that you're planning on making.
There's no way I'd want to try that again! Lol.
We got very lucky.

Opie Knievel

Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Also make sure you have at least a front driveshaft loop, I installed both front and rear on mine the rear one I made so it unbolts easily to get the driveshaft out.

Agree x2!! The rear U-joint broke on my truck the other day. I didn't have a driveshaft loop and the driveshaft beat the hell out of my poor truck before I could get it stopped. It put a big dent in my brand new gas tank. It could have been worse though.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I'd get a new one built, they aren't that expensive. I got mine built at Fleet Pride....They are a franchise, I bet there's one neay ya :)

• Agree

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Yeah, the best driveshaft shop in the county is only half a mile from my work. Having them fab one up from scratch would be very easy, and I know they'll produce a quality product.

Another option for me would be to pull the driveshaft from my donor Express 3500 van and have it sized for my application. If it is sturdy enough for a one-ton van, I would hope it would be sufficient for my car.

As far as driveshaft loops go, I definitely think they are a wise idea. I've already noticed that there is one effective loop built into the car, up next to the transmission. Do all the G-bodies have that? (I would still want to add another one near the tail end.)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I felt the factory sheet metal "loop" was questionable at best so I removed it and welded in mounts in the same location and used a universal loop made out of 1/4" steel, I used the same style for front and rear I just have it opened more on the rear for suspension travel.
sum-g7900_ml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor