Anyone with a Pontiac-powered manuel-trans G-body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
One of my "future" projects is a 83 GP that I have had for 17 years. It is a Florida car and clean, never any rust. I am into Oldsmobiles and it was my Olds-powered racecar. It is caged but not hacked up, still has all the AC and wipers etc. I transfered the drivetrain to a Cutlass racecar 10 years ago. My plan is to make a 400 Pontiac-powered stick-shift street car out of it. I have a Pontiac 400 2V and 400 turbo from a 73 Lemans I scrapped out years ago. It was 80 K miled rusted out car but ran good. So, I have the car, engine, G-body 301 engine frame mounts, BOP bellhousing, clutch pedals/rods/z-bar/clutch-fork, tunnel shifter area. I only need a 300 HP fun to drive street car. I hope a fresh rebuild with a RV cam and a stock 4-barrel intake and dual exhaust will put me into the ballpark. I have a 10000808 bellhousing(uni-bell?), not sure which trans to look for. So I am looking for someone who has done this already for info and what problems I am facing. I am slowly gathering all the parts before I start this project. Intake & exhaust manifolds info needed also. Stock the best? Thanks, Ken

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
Doing swap right at this moment. I took everything out of a factory original 79 grand am that had a stick. Biggest problem is the transmission for me. Original used a 4 speed saginaw, allowed the shifter to be located approx. 6 inchr\es further forward than a muncie or Super t-10 that I am using. With 300 hp the saginaw would probably be OK, but if you decide to go to a muncie or super t-10 you'll have shifter location problems. I am going to poke a hurst v-gate shifter through the console coin tray and make a custom top for it. Other thing people forget about is the steering column with the manual key release, to make the swap safe and correct.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What you want to do is easy. I have an 83' Bonneville wagon with 301 and Saginaw 4 speed. I also had an 81' Malibu wagon with Pontiac 400 and Saginaw 4 speed. The Pontiac body was the easy one to work on, like they were expecting there to be a Pontiac motor used with a manual trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor