Anyone with rare or unusual factory options? How about highly optioned cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I have been around these cars since I was a kid. My grand father had a 79 Classic 4 door (305/auto, a/c, am/fm, rear speaker). When I was in my late teens I bought a 78 Classic coupe (4 speed, gauges, buckets, console, F41, no a/c, 2 tone paint which at the time was a very rare an unusual car.
I have had several other Classic coupes over the years that were low optioned like my grand fathers.
I just picked up a 78 Classic Landau. With a bunch of options (305/auto, 50/50 bench, a/c, gauge package, pw, pwr locks, delay wipers, tilt, cruise, F41, posi, deluxe seat belts, trunk release, lighted vanity mirror, light group, dual remote sport mirrors, 4 speaker stereo, bumper guards and impact strips and some other stuff I am forgetting.
So does anyone else have any usual or highly optioned ones?

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
I have owned a 79 landau malibu bucket seat car with a factory CB radio. It was also loaded with most of the options you have on your Malibu.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Mine would have been the opposite. '79 Cutlass Brougham that my grandparents bought new...in 1980. Apparently it sat on the lot for quite a while. For a Brougham it has surprisingly few options. Manual windows, locks and seat, no clock, no rear defroster, standard sweep speedo, hubcaps, no vinyl top (thank goodness), standard suspension and steering. I suspect it only had the base radio since my grandpa installed a Sears cassette deck immediately after purchase. The 305 might be the only upgrade, that is, if it's an option to a 260.
018-1.jpg

It was remarkable unmolested when I got it but I've added some upgrades over the years while trying to be respectful to the era.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/grandpa-car-1979-cutlass-thread.13162/

Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
This 78 sedan was equipped with full vinyl top, power trunk release, power windows, power door locks, power vent windows, power seat, A/C, AM radio, and....the 3.3 base engine.

Who orders that?

powersedan.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had a '79 Landau Monte that was originally a 267 auto, non a/c, no radio, p/w but no p/l, sport mirrors with drivers remote, F41 with a hiway geared peg leg, tilt, cloth non power full bench, door edge guards, no floor mats, no tinted glass, tu-tone paint. I wish I still had the build sheet from that car. The wierdest thing was it had the dual speaker dash.

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Both my Monte's are a little odd. My 79 Monte Carlo is a stripped down base model. No power any thing, no passenger side mirror, and Chevy 3.8. Only option was A/C. O and no vinyl top! My 80 Monte Carlo is a Turbo Sport Coupe. 15000 made. Deluxe interior. Buckets seats clock. Deluxe trim. Buick Turbo six. No power options and no vinyl top. That is how I would have ordered it too.
20180923_125428.jpg
20171014_123048.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Friend bought a car a few years back which seemed a real odd-ball. 1981 Cutlass, 2 door, buckets, console, manual windows, manual locks, 305, radio delete, emissions delete, 350c and highway gears. Apparently his wife wanted a convertable and didnt like Air Conditioning. Hubby bought it for her and she hated it so it sat in his equipment shed for years and years

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Mine 1981 El Camino SS is a highly optioned truck. 267 small block Power bucket high back Tan cloth interior seats ,Cruise Control Both Sports mirrors are remote controlled Cruise control Turbo 350 Trans with 7 1/4 3:73 gears positraction .Two tone White /gun metal grey. Tilt column Full instruments Center console with floor shifter, It had a trailer hitch but someone removed it. Air shocks exhaust split off to dual exhaust from cat Front spoiler.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
I have a 79 Grand Prix with factory 4 speed, pw, no plans, came with real wire wheels and t-tops. A friend of mine has a 79 Malibu with a factory 4 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor