Are 90's cars classic now???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
I recently read something that stuck with me; "every car eventually goes from being dated to classic..." A couple days ago I saw a black mid 90's Camaro parked at a gas station and it suddenly occurred to me "this car is now a classic." It just looked so cool and sleek sitting there, but not "dated looking" like say a 2002 Camaro. I feel like early the mid 90's Camaros have now reached 80's F-body status in classic appeal lol. What do you think?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
In Texas, the magic number is 25 years... not because of a arbitrary "classic" designation, but because this is when they go emissions exempt and yearly inspections are $7 ($4 with a coupon).

That is when people can start daily driving their "classic" again, and if the motor ever goes terminal, you yoink it out and put in an LS motor (even if its a 5.0L mustang)... so Texas is coming up on the 1994 model year for mods (you get a '93 inspected , and start modding it and by next inspection its exempt).

Before they go exempt and before OBII, there is a very difficult for an old car to pass, difficult to find a shop that still has one, $40/year, dyno inspection that kept pre 1996 cars off the road.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I think there's a difference between historic and classic, though.

Yes. A '93 Supra Turbo is "classic", but you could really drive one legally if you lived in a city in Texas (other than San Antonio for some odd reason), because it wouldn't pass the emissions regs implemented in the mid 2000's.

That was the case for all late 1980's / early 1990's "classic" cars - Grand Nationals, Corvette ZR1, Jag V12's, 911 turbo's, etc until they reached 25 years.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
What about a Sentra SER or Civic Since? I guess my point is that they are eligible for historic plates here in MD due to sheer age, yet I don't consider them classics. Although, it seems as those terms are subject to colloquialisms. MD also passed a law last year that vehicles 86 and newer displaying historic plates are subject to emissions and inspection regs for their respective years. My Bonneville is an 85, whew!

thunderball

Greasemonkey
Jan 18, 2016
id call the early 2000's camaros a 90's design that lasted into the 00's. i tend to group that gen all together. plus having an ls1 i think the 98-02 camaros will always be the one people want.

90's hardly SEEMS classic yet to me.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
id call the early 2000's camaros a 90's design that lasted into the 00's. i tend to group that gen all together. plus having an ls1 i think the 98-02 camaros will always be the one people want.

90's hardly SEEMS classic yet to me.
*94-02

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Here in PA you can register a classic at 15 years old

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Here in PA you can register a classic at 15 years old
Seems like they eased up on that, I see alot of rusted out POS's that can't pass the standard inspection getting the enhanced stations to pass & OK the registration. How does a dented up, rusty car with broken/missing parts & barely runs get a mechanic to sign off on a classic registrtation. I've even seen some antique registrtations (20+ years) that should of never been OK'ed. I've been told cause my '81 will have a cowl hood, the lay down SS spoiler & late '70's Z28 wheels I can't get either registrations. :mad::rant:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor