Are cat values killing the used car market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm just bringing this up cause today during my running around to see if I could have a shop salvage the bad Pypes tail pipe & getting a quote on materials to fight the tin worms that are showing up in the '14 Silverado's bed wheel lips I stop at Harbor Frieght to see two great conditon cars (a Subaru & a Ford Escape) on a trailer heading to the scrape guy. I saw the driver pull out the cats from his truck bed & I started to kinda ease drop on what he was saying to the guy in another truck. Said he picked them up cheap off elderly drivers that figured it was time to stop driving. Then he said about making more than enough scraping the cats then the cars seperate than he paid for them. I couldn't believe it. They would of been easy flips, current inspection, no exterior damage or visible rust. The one had new tires. These weren't the only ones like that I've seen. While we were cutting the road shoulders near the one scrapper I saw alot of good cars heading off to be crushed & prices are not really that high right now. I know certain cats bring big bucks & theives are even taking them off brand new cars & trucks on lots but are they really worth it enough to help deplete the already tight used car invintories? I'm not in the market for a newer ride right now but I view this in my opinion as a market killer like cash for clunkers was.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well,
I'm just bringing this up cause today during my running around to see if I could have a shop salvage the bad Pypes tail pipe & getting a quote on materials to fight the tin worms that are showing up in the '14 Silverado's bed wheel lips I stop at Harbor Frieght to see two great conditon cars (a Subaru & a Ford Escape) on a trailer heading to the scrape guy. I saw the driver pull out the cats from his truck bed & I started to kinda ease drop on what he was saying to the guy in another truck. Said he picked them up cheap off elderly drivers that figured it was time to stop driving. Then he said about making more than enough scraping the cats then the cars seperate than he paid for them. I couldn't believe it. They would of been easy flips, current inspection, no exterior damage or visible rust. The one had new tires. These weren't the only ones like that I've seen. While we were cutting the road shoulders near the one scrapper I saw alot of good cars heading off to be crushed & prices are not really that high right now. I know certain cats bring big bucks & theives are even taking them off brand new cars & trucks on lots but are they really worth it enough to help deplete the already tight used car invintories? I'm not in the market for a newer ride right now but I view this in my opinion as a market killer like cash for clunkers was.
Prices on cats are pretty high all things considered. When you combine that with how monumentally stupid people are when you try to sell something, personally, it DOES make more sense to scrap it and junk it than try to keep it in service.

Pull the juicy bits off, and drive to the buyer/scales. SO SO SO much easier than selling an actual vehicle.

Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I would not be surprised if there is some market manipulation going on to help phase out ICE cars in favor of the big EV push. At the very least used car sales don't increase GDP like new car sales do which often include loans which multiplies the money supply.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor