are chevy and olds motormounts the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
stdrcinginc said:
i would like to get an olds engine but its alot easier to get parts for chevy engines

That's not necessarily true. Neither is the myth that Olds motors are more expensive to build. You just have to know where to look.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Also, while Olds motor mounts were different from Chevy mounts as used in the G-body cars, there IS a trick. The 77-79 Trans Am used an Olds 403 with Chevy style clamshell mounts on the frame. In this application, the mounts that bolted to the Olds block were all-metal brackets that matched the Chevy frame mounts. You can use these in other applications to install Olds motors with Chevy mounts. The same configuration was used on the first gen Caddy Sevilles with the EFI Olds 350 and the 1980-90 Fleetwoods with the 307 Olds.

stdrcinginc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2009
STL84Calais said:
stdrcinginc said:
i would like to get an olds engine but its alot easier to get parts for chevy engines

That's not necessarily true. Neither is the myth that Olds motors are more expensive to build. You just have to know where to look.

Where should i look?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
stdrcinginc said:
STL84Calais said:
stdrcinginc said:

Where should i look?

455 8)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
It's a game with any brand of motor...
If you want it quick, you can order anything for a SBC out of a catalog. Unfortunately, you pay accordingly.
If you want it cheap, you can search and search, until the right deals come up.
It's all a matter of where you look, who you know, and how resourceful you can be.

I got my 455 block, crank, rods, and 'C' heads for $200.

I had a friend that worked at the neighborhood CarQuest that had a machine shop. He was friends with the machinist, and one day he mentioned "man, I need to get rid of this motor." The guy that had brought the motor there sold the car it went in, and bailed on the project. My friend called me and said "there's an Olds 455 here for $200" and I said, "I'll be right there..." I had him build the motor for me, and we became friends as well. Another great connection. I might be painting his 588 hp pump gas '67 Nova here pretty soon.

Sometimes they just fall right in your lap.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Check craigslist and forums. Try www.oldspower.com they always have motors for sale on there. Get a cheap core, or a decently priced running motor. Cores are anywhere from $100-400 and running motors are from $300-700 depending on condition ect...
Machine work costs the same on a chevy or and olds, but you have to find a machinist that knows olds. They do have some special procedures.
Then you look at swap meets, craigslist, and forums for parts. Get a good set of used heads, find a set of big valves, a valve job cost the same with stock valves or big valves. Get the heads rebuilt.
Get a good short duration, high lift, split pattern cam (more lift/duration on the exhaust side). You can get a used aluminum manifold cheap on a forum. Top it with a fresh q-jet and away you go.

A full build can be from <$1k to several thousand $ depending on what you use, how much patience you have, and what kinda of power you plan to run.

So, what do you want a street motor or a strip motor? How much power? How high do you want to spin it? Big block or small block? And most of all, how much do you want to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor