Are fiberglass add-on hood scoops worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I'm look at the fiberglass buick turbo hood scoop from danko, it's on sale for $90 but I'm still not sure if its worth it. I hear it is really difficult to bondo/glass them in, and the seam around the edge where the filler is tends to crack within a year. Is it worth it? I'm pretty good at body work, but is it really that hard to get it right?

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
One key to molding them in is make sure they are mechanically secured to the steel before blending fiberglass to metal. If you don't use fasteners or a proper adhesive product it will always crack at the joints.

If your just after a std turbo Regal scoop, I would look for an original hood 1st.

Nov 4, 2012
CWPottenger said:
One key to molding them in is make sure they are mechanically secured to the steel before blending fiberglass to metal. If you don't use fasteners or a proper adhesive product it will always crack at the joints.

If your just after a std turbo Regal scoop, I would look for an original hood 1st.

Well I'd like to look for an original hood too, but I don't have a truck to bring it home in, nor do I have $200 to spend on one. What kind of adhesive do you have to use to glue fiberglass to steel?

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
x2 on it cracking at the joints. I put one on a friend of mines truck last winter and it cracked around the edge after a couple months of driving. I used Norton Sure Grip urethane adhesive with screws up thru the hood into the scoop, there was enough adhesive squeezed out that I smoothed it onto the scoop. Finished it off with some short strand fibreglass and some evercoat putty to make it look like it was moulded in and it cracked down around the front edge of the scoop.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Chris

Attachments

• Joe's truck 02.jpg
    Joe's truck 02.jpg
    985.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Joe's truck 19.jpg
    Joe's truck 19.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,268
Nov 4, 2012
suffrn6 said:
x2 on it cracking at the joints. I put one on a friend of mines truck last winter and it cracked around the edge after a couple months of driving. I used Norton Sure Grip urethane adhesive with screws up thru the hood into the scoop, there was enough adhesive squeezed out that I smoothed it onto the scoop. Finished it off with some short strand fibreglass and some evercoat putty to make it look like it was moulded in and it cracked down around the front edge of the scoop.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

Chris

So... Do you think you used a bad adhesive, or are they going to crack no matter what? Because that sounds like the exact method I had in mid for my regal. Screw it in, glue it with fusor fiberglass to steel epoxy, then short stand fiberglass it in.

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
I think it depends on what you want - I bought one because before I wanted to make mine a GN clone, now going for more of a t-type clone. Personally, I think they're cool because only the Turbo Buicks have them, so there is a unique factor to them. Check out Lauren Engineering (laureneng.com) they have a bolt-on Turbo style fiberglass hood scoop - it's more expensive than Danko's but it's pretty solid - I bought 1 for my buick because I didn't want to worry about installing with fiberglass. These are old threads, but here's an example of one that was installed on a Regal -> viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17619 (1st thread) viewtopic.php?f=25&t=17619 (2nd thread). Sorry, mine's not installed, so I don't have any pics of it on the car yet....

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
$200.00 would be cheap for a hood by the time time you buy your supplies not to mention the hours you will have in it.
I sold one to a guy and he strapped it to the top of his car - I would borrow a truck.

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Look at total cost .

By time you buy tube of good panel adhesive. The scoop of choice the fiberglass,bondo ,And primers (take several coats them sand to see if smooth ) . You will be near your $200 . Not to mention paint and it crack later .

Pay someone gas money and get real hood scuff and paint it .

I have tried or fixed many over years and all had same outcome Cracks

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I agree with MR442, I have tried and seen other try to attach fiberglass to a metal hood with fasteners and glues that claim to work but they always fail... some sooner then others. And for the price of using the best adhesives like lord fusor and others and then prime and paint you will be well in over the cost of a used OE buick hood. If you go with the cheap scoop don't try and blend it into the metal, I would just make it look nice and stick it on the top, probably not the look you want to go with but ill save you a few headaches later on.

Nov 4, 2012
MR442 said:
Look at total cost .

By time you buy tube of good panel adhesive. The scoop of choice the fiberglass,bondo ,And primers (take several coats them sand to see if smooth ) . You will be near your $200 . Not to mention paint and it crack later .

Pay someone gas money and get real hood scuff and paint it .

I have tried or fixed many over years and all had same outcome Cracks

true, but i am not really worried about the cost of bondo, adhesive, fiberglass etc. i already have tons of that stuff at my disposal. id have to paint a real hood too. and im not worried about painting because i'll do that myself. im really just trying to figure out if they always crack no matter what, or if they work when done properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor