Are lifetime/guaranteed forever warranties worth it anymore?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Since I was going thru the old tool box last weekend I decided to look to see what was still avalible at Sears & the Craftsman website just in case I would ever need to replace anything. It looks like most of my stuff can't be replaced so easily. Certain things weren't carried over from Sears & they don't carry as much before it was being put onto life support. Stanley doesn't have the 6 or 12 point options with sockets as I have almost all of mine in both. I don't dare to think about if my ratchets could even be repaired if needed. Even with the wrenches I wanted to get what I need to complete the newer polished offset double box metric set & I'm coming up with nothing. I'd say at least 85% of my tools are USA made Craftsman that I've picked up in the past 30+ years & I'd like to keep them going for at least another 30 but without a good source to cover all I have I wonder if I really need to find a new source of tools without selling my soul to a tool truck. I still don't have full faith in Harbor Frights tools even though I just picked up a 3 ton Daytona jack last week. I have some Kobalt tools but Lowe's has cut back on their catalog since getting Craftsman as the main line. My local hardware store has a shrinking inventory of USA made Allen tools but what is sold is replaced by Asian made Cresent & Gear Wrench tools, Does it look like the only good source (& price) would be hitting the swap meets to pick up used tools or does anyone else have a good brand to look at.

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
For what it's worth, not all of both the new (lowes) craftsman and kobalt are even what they used to be a few years ago.

It looks like Chinese metal is getting used, have had sockets tear on the side of the cylinder and snapped the square plug end clean off a 3" extension. This was handled use, not on any power attachment.

• Agree

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
For what it's worth, not all of both the new (lowes) craftsman and kobalt are even what they used to be a few years ago.

It looks like Chinese metal is getting used, have had sockets tear on the side of the cylinder and snapped the square plug end clean off a 3" extension. This was handled use, not on any power attachment.
Even snap on isn’t what it used to be. Chinese metal is everywhere.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I prefer to pick up ODG tools at lawn sales and auctions. Typically find Vlcheck, Barcalo Buffalo, older Craftsman, Souix, and S&K stuff for cheap $$. If I had to make my living with them I might shop a little differently.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
FWIW I still have some Craftsman stuff I bought in the late 80s - early 90s. I recently had to replace both the 1/2" drive and 3/8 drive ratchets. My 3/8 was a style they don't produce any more, but Lowe's replaced them anyway, the 1/2 was the same style and the 3/8 was what the had on the shelf. Seems everyone has lifetime warranty anymore, even Harbor Freight. Since these days things break now and again I'm not too concerned, I'm in town often enough to swing by and replace it. Most of the tools I use the most often have either doubles or a similar option, so it's never left me in a bind. Much more worse is laying down the tool and spending 10 minutes trying to find it again, lol. BTW I have 3- 10 mm sockets. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Much more worse is laying down the tool and spending 10 minutes trying to find it again, lol. BTW I have 3- 10 mm sockets. ;)
IMG_20210606_221725.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Blowes warrantied my broken mid level 1/4" ratchet that is not made anymore with the 72 tooth one a few months back. Seriously an upgrade.

But yeah I prefer my old SK, craftsman, thorsen, Blackhawk, and challenger stuff.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor