Are lifetime/guaranteed forever warranties worth it anymore?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Tool warranties, just like the old gray mare, ain't what they used to be! Like many other wrench turners, my older Craftsman tools are still serving me well! Earlier this year, as the local Sears was in the throes of demise, I tried to replace a pair of long nose pliers, but was told they didn't have any in stock and hat only Sears stores would honor the free, lifetime, replacement warranty. As a hobbyist, I never was into paying high bucks for Snap On tools--besides couldn't justify nor afford them!

tkruger

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2015
NY
I used to have mostly US Craftsman for sockets and wrenches. When I went to ratcheting wrenches I bought almost all GearWrench. When they go on sale you cannot beat the price for the quality. I used to buy Channel Lock pliers but now buy Carlie from NAPA. For a few dollars more than the Channel Lock they are superior in how they grip the fastener. For sockets I have purchased either Tekton or GearWrench, depending on. For screw drivers I used to buy Klien but have found Wera to be far superior. I buy Bauer power tools from Harbore Frieight. As a DYI / hobby berson who can beat the prices when the tool does the job at a low cost. I was surprised by this line too as I have beat on some of them pretty hard and they came back for more.

I hate to say it but I cannot afford USA made anymore. What I can afford to do is to buy the tools from US companies and / or local franchises. I get my NAPA tools from a local franchise. HF is a US company even is their tools are not. Tekton is a US company. My GearWrench I have picked up at various hardware stores that are local franchises. The only exception is the Wera drivers, they are from Germany. I have to get those online.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I've bought some Tekton stuff in the past few years and am happy with the quality. I hate that they are made in China though, like almost everything else. 😕

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The old regular Craftsman ratchets were jamming junk. Everything else was very good quality. I get Husky from Home Depot, Mastercraft Maximum from Canadian Tire and Powerfist from Princess Auto, Canada's Habour Freight. Most Chinese stuff unfortunately is decent stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Check out Proto tools, Stanley owns them but they are actually really good tools and made in the USA. Ive had a set of their ratcheting wrenches for years and have yet to wear one out. I use them at work also and they get the job done. They are more pricey but the quality and fact that they last so long make up for that.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
13mm, maybe
Perhaps it varies with the series and age. Seems like every time I'm taking something apart it becomes where is the @$^& 10mm. Door parts inside s, cowl, header/lights, mirrors, separating fender skin, bumper trim, and shells, blah blah blah. But you're right for the fenders hoods and trunk mounting to the car.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor