Are people still paying $300K for Non Matching Number Hemi Cuda's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I got put on the mailing list for Mecum Auctions and I get this in my Inbox:

Fresh restored '70 Hemi 'Cuda
Plymouth-Hemi-Cuda-1-1600x1067.jpg

Mecum's estimate is "$300-325K". Really? in the description it talks about "chirping tires" but doesn't mention "matching numbers" anywhere I can find. I'm sure its an original Hemi Cuda, but $300K for a non matching motor car? $300K will buy a lot of really sweet cars that don't suck to drive like a Hemi 'Cuda.

In 1985, Mark Headrick (who later started Goodmark) had a Mopar nationals winning 4 speed/Dana 60 Hemi in the same Rallye Red, with color keyed rubber bumpers, mirrors and Shaker and he wanted $12,500 for it (maybe $25-35K in today's dollars). We told him we wanted something to drive and bought his '71 convertible 'Cuda340 for $7,500 instead. Probably should have bought them both, but if I'd bought the Hemi for $12.5K, I'm sure would have sold in the $65K-$75 range. I never would have imagined someone paying $100K for one. That's nuts.

Its a beautiful restoration, but you can't drive it (not that you would want to). What do you do with a $300K stock restored Hemicuda? Look at it?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yep, all the fun of owning musclecars went out of them when "investors" started caring about the $$$ rather than what they were intended for.

People don't believe me when I tell them I bought a matching numbers 70 SS396 350HP 4 speed for $650 in 1980, or a LS5 70 SS454/M22 car for $700 in 1979. We (the people I ran around with) never thought they'd be hard to find or worth 10s of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not interested. Half the cars on this forum could outperform that Cuda.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Beautiful car, and one of my favorites, but it's a museum piece now.

I don't go to museums......

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Not interested. Half the cars on this forum could outperform that Cuda.

There is a guy here is NE DFW who drives his Hemicuda. (his "other" car is a Lambo, so the Hemicuda appears is his "driver"). He is always posting videos of him driving around and I'm watching them and am like "there's my bank", "there's where I buy milk", etc. so hopefully I'll run across him some day.

A few of the videos end with the car on a flatbed... just driving it around the neighborhood. Sure kids think you are cool, but kids are stupid.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I worked on a customer's 72 once. Chrysler Corp had some of the stupidest wiring I've ever seen. Never again

Oh, they still have it!! Just exponentially more of it and it's protected by rediculous computers and relays. FCA FTW......not.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It is crazy what people will spend on a car
A lot of them do it for an investment and it makes them happy, others live vicariously through others and have the change to buy the hot cars to do it.
Me....I just want to do my own thing, have a nice El C daily driver, shoot a side by side shotgun, drink a beer and be a cool old guy

• Agree

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Love to have a 225 slant Cuda, let alone a hemi Cuda but I would also be the guy that would eventually get filmed doing a John Force burnout/popping a tire/getting out/then running it until both matched. Drive em! I ain't got no time for wiping cars with the golden fleece and being admired by the internet for buying "cool".

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor