Are spider gears in Posi and open rears the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
I have 2 10 bolt rears, both with 7.5 ring gears. One has Posi, one is open. The Posi rear has shredded spider gears and I'm wondering if the spider gears in the open rear are the same as the ones in the Posi? I've called summit, jegs, JC Whitney, and they all seem to want to say they are different, but nobody carries the part to be able to compare.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
no, the two pinon gears in the posi are smaller and the side gears are not interchangeable either. The two pinon gears in the posi are always the first to go.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know but when I blew the two pinion gears in an Auburn posi they are definitely smaller than the pinion gears in the open carrier I put in place of the posi. Because of the pinion gear's size I never bothered to rebuilt that posi. I searched for a 64-67 8.2 and found that about a year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor